Grandma's Getaway

"Now, Haruki-chan, are you absolutely sure that you'll be okay?"

"Definitely! You and Reina-ba should be able to have fun too, you know!"

Patting Masumi on the head as they farewelled Namiko at the door one morning, Haruki beamed brightly at her mother-in-law. It had been around three months since Shisui had left on his top secret, super important mission for the Hokage, and in that span of time both Haruki and Namiko had been hard at work juggling the care of Masumi, Riku, and Sora between the two of them.

However, Haruki knew that Namiko wouldn't be young forever, and a part of her felt guilty for bogging her down with the worries of childrearing when she had already done her time. So, now that she had finally gotten the hang of balancing all three of her babies, Haruki thought it was high time that Namiko went off and enjoyed herself.

After briefly discussing the matter with Shisui before he went off the radar through letters the previous month, the couple had agreed that they would arrange a holiday for their hardworking mother. Luckily for them, Obito had also agreed that his mother was in need of a vacation as well, meaning that Namiko now also had a travel buddy to spend her days off with.

"Alright," frowned Namiko, a twinge of disbelief visible in her eyes. "Mikoto will come by and check up on you every once in a while. If you need anything, she's there for you."

"I'll be fine," chuckled Haruki, bending down to pick up Masumi as he clawed at her leg to lift him up. "It's only one week. I hope you and Reina-ba enjoy the Land of the Crescent Moon."

"Oh, we will! I'm going to miss my little boys, though!"

Namiko cooed as she reached out and took Masumi from Haruki's arms, kissing him on the cheek as she gently bounced him in her grasp.

"Obaa-chan will see you soon, okay?" nodded Namiko, pressing her forehead against Masumi's as she looked him directly in the eye. As she did so, the toddler reached out and pulled roughly at her earlobe, making his grandmother yelp in pain.

"Masumi!" chided Haruki with a sigh, holding her arms out as Namiko laughed and kissed him on the cheek once more before returning him to his mother.

"Look after yourselves, Haruki-chan," said Namiko, shooting her daughter-in-law a sharp look as she pulled up the handle of her suitcase. "I would hope that Shisui would be here by the time I return, but we all know that's wishful thinking."

"We'll be fine," insisted Haruki, waving Namiko off. "Go on, shoo! You don't want to be late to meet Reina-ba!"

"... alright. Take care, Haruki."

"You too, okaa-san."