the sorting ceremony

As they arrive at Hogwarts, people begin to step out onto the platform. An incredibly tall man shouts, "Right, then. First years, this way, please!"

As Ron, Harry and Sam step off the train, they turn to him.

"Come on, first years, don't be shy. Come on now, hurry up."

They walk up to him first as he says, "Hello, Harry."

Harry gives a smile, "Hi, Hagrid."

Hagrid turns to the rest of the first years, "Right, then. This way to the boats. Come on now, follow me."

All the young first years, follow behind Hagrid as they look around at their surroundings. Once they arrive at the lake, they hop into the boats. Sam and Ron hop into one and Harry follows behind them. As they settle in, a few others climb onto their boat, including Hermione. They begin to sail across the lake, with only the light of the lamps guiding them. Sam looks up to the bright and beautiful castle.

"It's so beautiful!" Harry looks up in awe and nods quickly.

As they all reach shore, Hagrid guides them into the castle. Harry, Sam, Ron and Hermione walk first up the stairs, until they reach the top. An elderly woman, with a tall, pointed hat and square rimmed glasses looks down on them.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few minutes, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses."

Harry looks questioningly at Sam and Ron, who smile back at him.

"They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." She says the latter with a tone of disdain. "Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the house cup."

Out of the blue, a boy yells, "Trevor!" and rushes to pick up the toad at the top of the stairs. He glances up at the ederly woman with slight fear. She glances down at him in shock.

"Sorry," he states as he steps back into the crowd.

"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily." The woman turns to walk through the doors ahead and a blonde, almost white, haired boy steps up the front of the group and directly in front of Harry.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

Everyone gasps and begins to whisper to each other.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Ron lets out a small snort of disgust.

"Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." He says in disgust.

In that moment, the normally kind and forgiving Sam, is full of rage and ready to fight. Ron grabs her hand lightly to keep her back. Harry is glaring at Draco as he turns back toward him.

"You'll find out some wizarding families are better than others," says the blonde nuisance, "You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort." He finishes as he turns in disgust towards Ron and Sam.

Harry never turns his glare from Draco. Draco, however, continues, "I can help you there," he says as he holds his hand out for Harry to shake. Sam turns to Harry quickly, hoping he doesn't choose to stand with Draco.

Harry looks to Draco's hand and then back up to his eyes, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

At this time, the ederly woman returns and pats Draco's shoulder with a roll of parchment, and Draco turns to her and back to Harry with a sneer.