eat slugs

Sam, Ron and Hermione sit on the benches in the courtyard going over what Hermione has found on the Montclairs.

"Honestly, not much," she says with dismay, "but if I knew more about what I was looking for-"

"I don't know. I mean even Firenze knew about the Montclairs. Maybe it's a legacy of some sort?" Sam offers.

Before their conversation can continue, they see the Gryffindor and Slytherin Quidditch teams run into each other.

"Oi, Flint what are you doing here?" Oliver Woods asks, "I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today."

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." Flint hands the note to Oliver.

Hermione closes her book and Ron stands, "I smell trouble." They three of them begin to walk over.

"I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker." Woods reads out loud.

"You've got a new Seeker. Who?" he asks.

Draco steps up ahead of his new teammates with a smirk.

"Malfoy?" Harry asks in disbelief.

"That's right. And that's not all that's new this year," Malfoy says as he points to their brooms.

"Those are Nimbus 2001s," Ron says flabbergasted, "How did you get those?"

Marcus Flint smirks at Ron, "A gift from Draco's father."

Malfoy doesn't tear his smirk from Sam, who furrows her brow in annoyance. He turns to look at Ron, "You see, Weasley, unlike some, my father can afford the best."

Hermione jumps in, "At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent."

Malfoy steps closer to be directly in front of her, "No one asked for your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood."

Everyone gasps, but before they can react Sam punches him in the jaw. He trips backwards and Ron pulls out his wand, "Eat slugs!" But with his wand being broken, the spell backfires, sending Ron flying backwards and hurling up slugs. Hermione and Harry run to help Ron while Draco strides up to Sam, standing a few inches taller than her, he glowers at her.

"How dare you lay your hands on me, you-" he starts, but Sam interjects.

"You don't have an insult for me, do you, Malfoy? Because deep down, in your cold heart, you know..." she leans in close so that only he can hear, "you're scared of me and what I can do." She steps back and begins to walk to Ron. Without looking back she says, "You may be a selfish, ignorant twat, but you're not stupid. Don't insult my friends again."

Harry lifts up Ron by the arm, "Let's take him to Hagrid's. He'll know what to do."

As the four of them leave the courtyard, Sam steps merely inches away from Draco with a firm glare. Her eyes flashing green momentarily. They bring Ron into Hagrid's Hut and sit Ron down.

Hagrid grabs a bucket, "This calls for a specialist's equipment," he says as he hands it to Ron, "Nothing to do but wait till it stops, I'm afraid."

Hagrid hands Sam a small piece of cold meat, "Put that on your hand," he instructs.

Ron hurls up another slug and Hagrid grimaces slightly, "Better out than in. Who was Ron trying to curse, anyway?"

Harry speaks up, "Malfoy. He called Hermione...um...well, I don't know exactly what it means."

Hermione stands and walks over to the window, "He called me a Mudblood."

Hagrid gasps, "He did not."

Harry looks between everyone, "What's a Mudblood?"

Sam, not looking up from her hand, says, "It means 'dirty blood'."

"Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who's Muggle-born. Someone with no-magic parents. Someone like me," Hermione says with tears in her eyes, "It's not a term one usually hears in civilized conversation."

"See, the thing is, Harry, there are some wizards, like the Malfoy family, who think they're better than everyone else because they're, what people call, pure-blood," Hagrid explains.

"That's horrible!" He shouts. Ron spits up another slug, "It's disgusting."

"And it's codswallop to boot. Dirty blood. Why, there isn't a wizard alive today that's not half-blood or less. More to the point, they've yet to think of a spell that our Hermione can't do. Come here," Hagrid says as Hermione gives a small grateful smile. He gently grabs her hand, "Don't you think on it, Hermione. Don't you think on it for one minute."

She gives him another small smile.

"I take it, Sam decked him in the face?" He asks.

She nods slowly, "Foul git deserves it."

Everyone laughs, except for Ron who spits out another slug. Harry reaches for her split knuckles, "Are you alright?"

She smiles at him. He still sees that light in her eyes, but this time with a mischievous glint.

"Completely worth it."