petrified

The day of the Quidditch game between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, McGonagall cancels the match and grabs Sam. They walk over to the Quidditch team and she turns to Harry.

"Potter, you and I need to find Mr. Weasley. There's something the three of you have to see."

She brings all three of them into the Hospital Wing and walks them over to an occupied bed, where they find Hermione... petrified.

"Hermione," Ron notes in shock.

"She was found near the library along with this," McGonagall lifts a handheld mirror, "Does it mean anything to any of you?"

"No," Harry states.

Sam never takes her eyes off of Hermione. Her heart grows weary, how will they figure this out without her? She wraps her hand around Hermione's.

Later that day, in the Gryffindor common room, Professor McGonagall walks in and announces, "Could I have your attention, please? Because of recent events, these new rules will be put into effect immediately: all students will return to their house common room by 6:00 every evening, all students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher, no exceptions. I should tell you this: unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught, it is likely the school will be closed."

She walks out of the room with sad eyes, whispers go through the area and students look to each other in concern.

"We've got to talk to Hagrid. I can't believe it's him, but if he did set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets. That's a start," Harry implores.

"But you heard McGonagall. We're not allowed to leave the tower except for class," Ron insists.

"Harry, I think it's time to get out your dad's old cloak again," Sam smirks deviously.

That night, they travel out of the castle wrapped in the cloak and make their way to Hagrid's. They quickly knock on his door.

"Who's there?" They hear from inside.

Hagrid kicks open the door, holding a crossbow and they quickly remove the cloak. He visibly relaxes.

"What's that for?" Sam asks anxiously.

"Nothing. I was expecting- It doesn't matter. Come on in. I just made a pot of tea."

They sit as he pours them each a cup.

"Hagrid, are you okay?" Sam notes his shaky hands.

"I'm fine. I'm all right."

"Did you hear about Hermione?" Harry asks.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that, all right."

"Look, we have to ask you something," Harry starts, "do you know anything about who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?"

Hagrid looks down and gives a small sigh, "What you had to understand about that is-".

He gets interrupted by a loud knock at the door, "Quick, under the cloak," he orders.

They sneak into the corner and cover themselves with the cloak.

"Professor Dumbledore, sir," he acknowledges.

"Good evening, Hagrid. I wonder, could we-"

"Of course. Come in. Come in."

Ron whispers, "That's dad's boss. Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic."

The Minister of Magic looks up to Hagrid, "Bad business, Hagrid, very bad business. Had to come. Three attacks on Muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. This Ministry's got to act."

"But I never- you know I never, professor."

"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence."

"Albus, look, Hagrid's record is against him. I've got to take him."

"Take me? Take me where? Not Azkaban prison."

Sam gives a light gasp, "Oh, please no," she whispers. Harry looks at her in confusion.

"I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid," Fudge states.

The door opens, yet again, to reveal Lucius Malfoy.

"Already here, Fudge? Good," he says, stepping into the house.

"What are you doing here? Get out of my house!"

"Believe me," Malfoy states as he walks about the hut, "I take absolutely no pleasure being inside your," he walks much closer to the three and they take quiet steps back, "you call this a house? No. I simply called up the school and was told the headmaster was here."

"Well, what exactly is it that you want with me," Dumbledore asks.

"The other governors and I have decided it's time for you to step aside," Hagrid looks to Dumbledore in disbelief that Malfoy has the audacity. Lucius lifts a roll of parchment, "This is an order of suspension. You'll find all 12 signatures on it."

Dumbledore gently takes the parchment before Malfoy continues, "I'm afraid we feel you've rather lost your touch. Well, what with all these attacks, there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be to the school."

The three look at each other in agitation.

"You can't take Professor Dumbledore away. Take him away and the Muggle-borns won't stand a chance. You mark my words, there'll be killings next!" Hagrid shouts.

"You think so?" Lucius asks.

"Calm yourself, Hagrid. If the governors desire my removal, I will, of course, step aside. However, you will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who," Dumbledore glances at the exact spot where the three of them hide, "ask for it."

"Admirable sentiments. Shall we?" Malfoy proceeds to escort Dumbledore out.

Fudge looks to Hagrid, "Come, Hagrid. Well?"

Hagrid clears his throat, "If- If anybody was looking for some stuff then all they'd have to do would be to follow the spiders. Yep. That would lead them right. That's all I have to say."

Hagrid steps outside his hut, "And someone will need to feed Fang while I'm away."

Fudge follows him out. They rip off the cloak as Ron admits, "Hagrid's right. With Dumbledore gone, there'll be an attack a day."

Sam nods to the small spiders crawling out the window, "Look."

"Come on," Harry says, "Come on, Fang. Come on."

Ron squeeks, "What?"

"You heard what Hagrid said, 'Follow the spiders'."

"Okay, you guys follow the spiders. I'm going back to sneak into the library to see if Hermione left anything for us to find. Harry, can I have the cloak?" Sam asks.

Harry swiftly hands her the cloak, "Be careful, okay?"

She gives him a reassuring smile before covering herself and sneaking back into the castle. She creeps up to the library and searches around the tables and the floors. She finds two spare pieces of parchment, as if they were ripped out of the books. She picks them up in surprise and reads them each.

Her mouth falls open, 'Looks like Hermione was killing two birds with one stone', she thinks to herself. Before she turns to leave she hears a slithering noise from behind her. She looks up to the windows and in the reflection she sees a snake at least 60 feet long and larger than anything creature she'd ever seen. Gripping on tight to the slips of paper, she lets out an ear splitting scream that shatters every window and knocks every book off the shelves before she falls flat onto the floor.