champions

That night, everyone gathers in the Great Hall to watch the ceremony. Sam, Harry, Ron and Hermione are laughing about the twins' aging fiasco when Hermione changes the subject and directs a question at Ron.

Sam leans into Harry, "Don't ever do something that stupid."

He leans back into her, "I have no intention to."

They chuckle and turn to each other, but their eyes widen when they realize just how close they are and they lean back slightly. Sam opens her mouth to say something but gets interrupted by Dumbledore's announcement.

"Sit down. Please. Now the moment you've all been waiting for: The champion selection."

Everyone sits and Dumbledore moves his hand around the room before putting it on the Goblet of Fire. The once blue flame burns a bright red and a piece of slightly burnt parchment flies out and falls gently into Dumbledore's hand.

He opens and reads out loud, "The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum."

Everyone cheers loudly as Krum stands and makes his way over to the teacher's table. He shakes everyone's hands before exiting the hall.

The Goblet turns red again and shoots out a blur piece of parchment, Dumbledore catches it and reads, "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour."

All the girls from her academy cheer loudly and everyone else claps. She follows Krum out the hall.

Dumbledore grabs the last name, "The Hogwarts champion, Cedric Diggory!"

The students yell and clap wildly as Cedric stands and shakes hands with Dumbledore. Sam claps quietly and smiles.

"Excellent! We now have our three champions. But in the end, only one will go down in history. Only one will hoist this chalice of champions, this vessel of victory, the Triwizard Cup," Dumbledore announces as they lift the cover off of the trophy.

It's one of the most beautiful things Sam has ever seen. Silver extravagant handles and base, with blue tinted glass that glows. As everyone cheers, the fire in the Goblet turns red again and shoots out another piece of paper. Sam and Harry stand up to see above everyone else.

Dumbledore catches it and mumbles something before shouting, "Harry Potter!"

Harry's eyes widen and he sits back down. Sam stares off in disbelief.

Hermione shakes him, "Go on, Harry. Harry, for goodness sake." She pushes him up and he walks over to Dumbledore.

The teachers and staff look at him in confusion, worry, and wonder as he exits the hall. Sam looks up to Hermione and Ron, but Ron's features have morphed into something she's never seen on him before. It's looks of anger, betrayal, and envy. As the Great Hall is dismissed and the teachers rush in after the champions. Sam stands up and runs after Ron.

"Ron! Stop!"

He continues towards Gryffindor tower without slowing down.

"Ronald Weasley, stop!"

He stops, but doesn't turn around.

"Harry did not put his name in there... you have to know that!"

"How do we know that? Huh? We don't. He's already the Chosen One, why does he have to get everything else?"

Sam steps back slightly, "Are you seriously jealous of him? He's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders! He's your best friend!"

Ron scoffs and walks up the stairs and straight to his dorm. Sam sits on the couch and waits for Harry.

When he finally stumbles in, everyone is already in their dorms. Sam runs up to him and hugs him tightly, "You didn't, right? I just know you didn't?"

"No, no, of course not," he says as he awkwardly hugs her back.

She lets go quickly and steps back as he continues, "But I have to compete anyway. I don't have a choice."

"What?"

"Crouch said-"

"I'll help you," she says abruptly, "but don't you dare get yourself killed. I'll never forgive you."

He gives a small smile, but anxiety still swirls behind his eyes.