the truth

They run down the steps and straight up to Hagrid's door, knocking profusely. Sam looks at Buckbeak who is chained up to a pole in the pumpkin patch.

"Oh, look at him. Loves the smell of the threes when the wind blows through 'em," Hagrid states with sorrow.

"Why don't we just set him free?" Harry asks as they all stand around the window and table.

Hagrid sighs as he looks at Buckbeak, "They'd know it was me, and then Dumbledore would get into trouble. He's coming down, Dumbledore. Says he wants to be with me when they... when it happens. Great man, Dumbledore."

Sam stands up to face him, "We'll stay with you too, Hagrid."

"You'll do no such thing! Think I want you seeing something like that? No. You just drink your tea and be off. Oh. Before you do, Ron," Hagrid pulls something out of a tin and hands it to Ron.

"Scabbers! You're alive!" He shouts.

"Keep a closer eye on your pet," Hagrid warns with a smile.

Hermione steps up, "I think you owe someone an apology."

"Right. Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know," Ron says sarcastically.

"I meant me!"

A loud shatter is heard, and they all turn to see one of Hagrid's pots broken. Sam picks up the small stone that hit it.

"Blimey, what was that?" Hagrid asks, alarmed.

Harry yelps an "Ow!" while rubbing the back of his head. He turns around to look out the window that he was sitting in front of.

"Hagrid," Harry calls him over to the window.

"Oh, crikey," they watch as Dumbledore, Fudge and the executioner all make their way down the path, "It's late. It's nearly dark. You shouldn't be here."

Hagrid shuffles across his hut, "Someone sees you outside this time of night, you'll be in trouble. Big trouble. Particularly, you two," he points to Sam and Harry.

A loud knock sounds through the room, "With you in a moment!"

The four run to the back door and quietly push it open, looking to see if anyone's watching. They run across the pumpkin patch and crouch behind them.

"It is the decision of the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures that the hippogriff Buckbeak hereinafter called 'the condemned,' shall be executed this day at sundown." Fudge explains.

They hear a twig from behind them snap and Hermione quickly turns first and tilts her head.

"What?" Harry asks.

"I thought I saw... nevermind."

"Let's go!" Ron says.

The four of them run back up the path and stand on the hill watching as the execution comes out and holds his axe high above his head. Hermione sniffles. He swings his axe back down. Hermione cries into Ron's shoulder while Harry grabs Sam's hand.

"Ouch!" Ron drops Scabbers, "he bit me!"

Scabbers begins to run off in the opposite direction and Ron chases after him, calling his name. The other three run after him. When Ron finally catches his rat, they stop and call for him, "Ron!"

"Harry, don't you know what tree this is?" Sam asks in worry.

"That's not good. Ron, run!" Harry shouts.

Ron looks at them and his eyes widen, "Harry, Sam run! It's the Grim!"

They turn quickly and see a big, black dog snarling in their direction. He barks loudly and runs straight at them, but he jumps over them and continues towards Ron. He bites down hard on Ron's ankle and begins to drag him under the Whomping Willow and into a small hole at the base of the tree. Ron screams and shouts for them.