the forbidden forest

The next evening, the five of them are led by Mr. Filch to Hagrid's Hut.

"A pity they let the old punishments die. Was a time detention found you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming."

Hermione lets her mouth fall open in horror, while Ron looks terrified.

"You'll be serving detention with Hagrid, tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest."

They gather around the fire pit, outside the Hut as Filch continues, "A sorry lot, this, Hagrid."

Hagrid takes in a shaky breath.

"Good God, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?" Filch asks in disgust.

Hagrid picks up his wooden crossbow and says, "Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony."

Hermione speaks up, "Well that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind."

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby."

At this, Filch rolls his eyes, "Oh for God's sake, pull yourself together. You're going into the Forest, now after all. Got to have your wits about you."

Draco looks from Filch to Hagrid, "The Forest? I thought that was a joke. We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are..."

A low howl is heard within the trees, Draco continues, "werewolves."

Harry's eyes widen a bit as he looks to Hagrid.

"Oh, there's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that. Nighty-night," Filch says before he strolls back to the castle.

"Right. Let's go," Hagrid says, solemnly.

The five of them follow behind Hagrid through the dark trees. Fang, Hagrid's dog, walks beside Hagrid sniffing all over the ground. They come across a puddle of metallic liquid. Hagrid bends down and dips two of his fingers into it. He pulls it up and examines it.

"Hagrid, what is that?" Harry asks.

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been hurt bad by something."

Sam looks over to the side and sees a shadowy figure moving amongst the trees. She elbows Harry and motions her head in the direction of the figure. He looks in that direction, eyes widening, and then back to her.

"So, it's our job to go and find the poor beast," Hagrid continues, "Ron, Hermione, you come with me. Harry and Sam, you'll go with Malfoy."

Ron nods, while Malfoy looks a mixture of fearful and annoyed.

"Okay. Then I get Fang," Malfoy states.

"Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward." Hagrid says blankly.

Fang whines and Draco looks furious. Sam catches Harry's gaze and gives him a reassuring nod. They split up and go their separate ways. Malfoy carries the lantern while Sam and Harry follow behind, trying not to trip over roots.

"Wait till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff." Draco says aggravated.

"If I didn't know better, Draco, I'd say you were scared," Sam laughs.

Draco rolls his eyes, "I'm not scared, Jackson." He quickly turns around frantically, when he hears a low howling, "Do you hear that?"

Harry shakes his head and they keep moving, "Come on, Fang."

They let Fang lead the way and begin walking down a small hill. Fang stops and looks up.

"What is it, Fang?" Harry asks. Fang only growls in response.

They look up and see a white unicorn, laying on the ground, with a hooded figure crouched over it. Harry immediately rubs his scar. The hooded figure looks up, the unicorn's blood dripping from his mouth. Draco screams and runs the other way leaving Sam and Harry behind. The cloaked figure hovers unnaturally and moves quickly towards the two. Before it can reach them, however, a centaur leaps over them and fights the figure back until it vanishes.

The centaur turns and walks towards them, "Harry Potter, Samantha Montclair, you must leave. You are known to many creatures here. The Forest is not safe at this time. Especially for you."

"I'm Samantha Jackson, not Montclair," Sam asks in confusion.

He responds, "I know a Montclair when I see one. Your mother was always very kind to us, I am repaying that favor tonight."

"But sir, what was that thing you saved us from?" Harry inquires.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking it's blood will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. For you have slain something so pure that from the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life."

"Who would choose such a life?" Sam asks.

"Can you think of no one?" the Centaur pushes.

"Do you mean to say that, that thing that killed the unicorn, that was drinking its blood, that was Voldemort?" Harry asks.

The centaur leans down to both of them, "Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?"

A look of realization dawns on them as they look to each other, "The Sorcerer's Stone."

They hear Fang bark and they look to see Hagrid, Ron, Hermione and Draco standing on top of the hill.

"Harry!" Hermione calls.

"Hello there, Firenze. See you've met our young Harry Potter and Sam Jackson." Hagrid informs, "You alright, you two?"

They both give him a slight nod and turn back to Firenze.

"This is where I leave you, Samantha Montclair, Harry Potter. You're safe now. Good luck." Firenze says as he walks away and back into the maze of trees.

As the four of them make their way back to the common room that night, Hermione sits down on a couch in front of the fireplace.

"You mean, You-Know-Who is out there right now in the Forest?" She asks, alarmed.

"But he's weak," Harry explains.

Sam cuts in, "He's living off the unicorns."

"Don't you see? We had it wrong. Snape doesn't want the Stone for himself. He wants it for Voldemort. With the Elixir of Life, Voldemort will be strong again. He'll come back." Harry explains further as he sits on the chair across from the others.

"But if he comes back, you don't think he'll try to kill you, do you?" Ron asks anxiously.

"I think if he'd had the chance, he might have tried tonight." Harry says.

Ron turns to Sam with a worried expression. She nods back in understanding.

"Do you think he knows it was you?" He asks her.

"He seemed to know it was Harry, but then again, I'm not sure he's ever seen me before. I don't know." She responds.

"Wait, You-Know-Who is after you as well?" Harry questions.

Sam shakes her head, "That's not a priority right now."

"Wait a minute, we're forgetting one thing. Who's the one wizard Voldemort always feared? Dumbledore. As long as Dumbledore is around, you're both safe. As long as Dumbledore is around, you can't be touched." Hermione states with a comforting smile, which was something they all needed.