escaped prisoner

After sitting down and explaining his conversation with Mr. Weasley, Sam looks at the opposite wall of the compartment and zones out.

"Let me get this straight. Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban to come after you and Sam?"

"Yeah," Harry says. He turns to look at Sam, but she never tears her eyes away from the wall.

"But they'll catch Black, won't they?" Hermione asks, "I mean, everyone's looking for him."

"Sure," Ron sits back, "Except no one's ever broken out of Azkaban before and he's a murderous, raving lunatic."

Without tearing her eyes away from the wall, Sam says, "Thanks, Ron."

The train screeches and comes to a complete stop, aggressively jolting the compartments.

"Why are we stopping?" Hermione asks anxiously, "We can't be there yet."

Harry stands up and slides open the cabin door and looks around the corridor but the train jolts so hard it throws him back into the compartment. The door slides closed again.

"What's going on?" Ron asks in worry.

"Don't know. Maybe we've broken down," Harry hypothesizes.

The lights go out and the only light is the light from the moon outside.

Ron moves to the window, "There's something moving out there."

Harry, instinctively reaches for Sam's hand. She grips his tight as they train shakes again. The cabin suddenly becomes cold as ice. The train creaks and jolts again.

"Bloody hell! What's happening?" Ron exclaims.

Outside the compartment a hooded figure appears and Sam's body grows colder. It's hand slowly opens the door and it enters the cabin while floating. It's cloak is torn in many places and the hood masks its face. Hermione gasps and they lean back into the seats. It turns to Sam and Harry and breaths in deep. Sam feels all the happiness she's ever had begin to drain from her, she clutches Harry's hand in fear they will lose each other. The man jumps to his feet and pulls out his wand. A bright beam of light shoots out and pushes the hooded figure out of the cabin. Before Harry falls into unconsciousness he hears a blood curdling scream in the distance. Sam inhales sharply and faints.

"Sam! Harry!" Sam opens her eyes slowly to see Ron and Hermione standing over them.

Harry puts on his glasses again as the man who saved them hands them chocolate, "Here, eat this. It'll help."

Harry takes it while Sam hesitates, "It's alright. It's chocolate."

Sam shakes her head, "Sorry, sir, I don't like chocolate."

The man sits back with a smile, "I didn't think you would."

She tilts her head to the side in confusion.

"What was that thing?" Harry asks, adjusting his glasses.

"It was a dementor. One of the guards of Azkaban. It's gone now. It was searching the train for Sirius Black. If you'll excuse me, I need to have a little word with the driver."

The man stands and exits the cabin. Harry takes a small bite of the chocolate, while Sam sits back.

"What happened to us?" Sam asks.

"Well, you sort of went rigid. We thought you two were having a fit or something," Ron explains.

"And did either of you two... you know... pass out?" Harry inquires.

"No. I felt weird, though. Like I'd never be cheerful again," Ron remarks.

Harry looks at them, "But someone was screaming. A girl."

At this, Sam looks up and to Harry.

"No one was screaming, Harry," Hermione states. She looks between the two of them.

Sam looks at Harry. She didn't hear someone screaming, but it felt like she was trying to. They arrive at Hogwarts and sit next to each other in the Great Hall for the feast.

Dumbledore stands up to the podium, "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor."

The whole school claps as the new professor stands and bows kindly.

Hermione leans across the table to Harry and Sam, "Of course. That's why he knew to give you the chocolate."

Draco whispers from the Slytherin table, "Potter. Is it true you fainted? I mean you actually fainted?"

"So did I, Malfoy, and I dare you to say another word."

Malfoy backs off and turns back to his table.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire," Dumbledore continues, "in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own, Rubeus Hagrid."

Every claps as Hagrid stands, his large size pushing the teacher's table forward. The four of them cheer the loudest.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such time as Sirius Black is captured."

Whispers erupt in the hall, but Dumbledore continues, "The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving. But you know, happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

After the feast, the students proceed to their common rooms. The Fat Lady who guards the Gryffindor tower has been practicing her opera skills, to Sam's horror.

Seamus runs up to say the password, but the Fat Lady stops him and continues to practice.

"Here, listen. She just won't let me in."

Harry and Sam walk up first, "Fortuna Major."

"No, no. Wait, wait." The Fat Lady says while trying to rupture a glass with her voice.

When she finally succeeds she gasps, "Amazing! Just with my voice."

Harry once again says, "Fortuna Major."

In annoyance the Fat Lady lets them all in.

Harry turns to Sam, "Still doing that after three years."

Sam laughs and at the same time they say, "She can't even sing!"

The boys depart for their dorms and Sam and Hermione go into the one they've shared since first year.

Sam sits on her bed, "So, I notice you and Ron have been bickering more than ever."

"He's so annoying with that stupid rat of his. He's one of my best friends, but Godric! He can get under my skin like no other!"

Sam winks at her and Hermione scoffs, "Well, what about Harry?"

Sam looks away as she unpacks, "What about him?"

"He's grown a lot over the summer."

"Yes... what do you want me to say? Yes, he's attractive, but he's Harry. He's one of my best friend's, that's it. Blimey, first it's Fred and George and now, you?"

Hermione simply shrugs, "I'm just saying, there's more there."