warriors

The Order waits outside the doors to the Great Hall, listening in for Harry's sign to enter. Sam looks to her best friends and sees that they are holding hands and in that moment, she wishes that Harry were beside her, somewhere far away from the center of an impending battlefield. Fred and George move to stand on both sides of her.

"This is going to be one hell of a fight," George states, seriously.

"You okay?" Fred asks.

"Yeah," Sam and George breathe out.

"Me too."

Sam hears gasps erupt from the hall and she listens closely for Harry's voice, "It seems, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, headmaster."

Sam bursts open the doors and the Order follows in behind her, ready to back Harry up, at whatever cost. She makes eye contact with Snape and stares him down.

"And I'm afraid it's quite extensive," Harry adds, "How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him. Tell them."

Snape pulls out his wand, but before Sam can do anything, Professor McGonagall steps in front and pulls Harry behind her, pulling out her own wand. She begins firing spells at him, but he never counterattacks, he only shields himself. He bursts into a cloud of black smoke and escapes through a shattered window. McGonagall relights the Hall, making it look like it once did, many years ago. Everyone erupts into loud cheers of joy and appreciation. Harry turns around to find Sam.

She looks at him from across the Hall with a deep grin, until they both hear a loud scream. The Great Hall grows dark once more. A girl drops to the floor, covering her ears as she screams in terror. Then another one, and another, until the entire Hall can hear one singular voice speaking to them.

"I know that many of you will want to fight," the voice of Voldemort breaks through the hall, but he's nowhere to be seen, "Some of you may even think that to fight is wise. But this is folly. Give me Harry Potter. Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have one hour."

The crowd goes utterly silent as everyone stares at Harry, until Pansy shouts, "What are you waiting for? Someone grab him!"

Sam is the first to step in front of Harry, her eyes shining through the darkness a brilliant and intimidating green. Members of the Order and students of Gryffindor house join her in shielding Harry.

"Students out of bed! Students out of bed!" Filch shouts, caring Mrs. Norris as he runs into the Great Hall, "Students in the corridor!"

"There supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!" McGonagall shouts.

"Oh. Sorry, ma'am."

"As it happens, Mr. Filch, your arrival is most opportune," McGonagall informs, "If you would, I would like you, please, to lead Miss Parkinson and the rest of Slytherin House from the hall."

"Exactly where is it I'll be leading them to, ma'am?" Filch inquires.

"The dungeons will do," she smiles and the rest of the Hall cheers once again.

As Filch leads them out, Sam and Harry approach McGonagall, "I presume you have a reason for returning, Potter. What is it you need?"

"Time, professor. As much as you can get me," he pleads.

"Do what you have to do. I'll secure the castle," she reassures before patting Sam on the shoulder.

As they turn to go over the plan with the others, McGonagall calls out, "Black, Potter. It's good to see you."

They both smile, "It's good to see you too, professor."

Students prepare for battle as the teachers and staff secure the castle in every way they can. Harry, Sam, Ron and Hermione race up the stairs to go searching for the last of the hidden Horcruxes.

"Harry!" Ron shouts.

Sam and Harry turn around to face them, "Hermione and I have been thinking. It doesn't matter if we find a Horcrux."

"What do you mean?" Harry asks frantically.

"Unless we can destroy it," Hermione concludes.

"So we were thinking... you destroyed Tom Riddle's diary with a basilisk fang, right?"

Harry nods and Ron continues, "Me and Hermione know where we might find one."

"Okay," Harry agrees as he hands them the cup and the Marauder's Map, "But take this. That way you can find me when you get back."

"But where are you two going?" Hermione calls after them.

"Ravenclaw common room!" Sam shouts back, "We have to start somewhere."

Luna begins to chase after Sam and Harry, calling their names. They don't stop until the reach the top of the stairs.

"We really don't have time, Luna," Harry protests.

"Harry Potter! You listen to me right now!" She shouts, "Didn't you listen? There's not a person alive who's seen the diadem, so you have to talk to someone who isn't."

Harry stands still and then nods, "Do you know who?"

Luna nods profusely. Sam turns to Harry and grabs his hand, "You go with Luna."

He stares at her in confusion and shakes his head, "Where are you going?"

"We both know that I'm the most powerful person here. You'll have more time to find and destroy it if I'm fighting with the others," she suggests.

In his eyes, she can see he's having an internal battle, but he nods, reluctantly. She pulls him and kisses him passionately.

"I love you, Harry James Potter, I always will."

He rests his forehead against hers, "I'll come find you."

She nods before running back down the stairs. She runs towards the courtyard, but bumps straight into Fred and George. She pulls them in for a hug.

"Stick together and stay alive. I'll find you when it's all said and done, okay," she orders.

Fred leans down and kisses her forehead as George holds her tight, "We'll see you soon, Little S."

She gives them a quick nod, but Fred stops her, "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

She gives him a smirk with a mischievous glint twinkling in her eyes, "I've been waiting for this," she nods as her eyes flash green.

They smile before running back towards where she came from. She meets McGonagall out in the courtyard. McGonagall rests her hand on Sam's shoulder as they watch the statues that once sat high on the castle walls are now marching forward to protect the barrier.

"It's an honor to fight alongside you, professor," Sam states with a smile.

"Please, the honor... is mine," McGonagall insists as she whips out her wand.