wingardium leviosa

Weeks go by and it's Halloween. The castle is filled with all sorts of decorations, even the classrooms. Just before lunch, the trio sits in Charms class with Professor Flitwick.

Flitwick begins the lesson with, "One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation."

Hermione sits up straighter, clearly excited for this topic, just like she is for every topic.

"Or the ability to make objects fly. Do you all have your feathers? Good. Now, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing. The swish and flick. Everyone."

The whole class picks up their wands and practices the movements while saying, "Swish and flick."

"Good! Oh, and enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then."

Everyone begins trying to levitate their own feather, a chorus of Wingardium Leviosa can be heard throughout the classroom. As Ron tries, he aggressively shakes his wand, forgetting the proper movements entirely.

Hermione reaches her hand over to stop his wand, "No, stop, stop, stop! You're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's LeviOsa, not LevioSAR."

"You do it then, if you're so clever. Go on, go on," Ron says aggressively.

As Hermione says the incantation and performs the movements, her feather begins to effortlessly float up towards the ceiling.

"Well done! See here, everyone, Miss Granger's done it! Splendid!" Flitwick announces.

Ron sets his wand aside and rests his head on his books, looking beyond aggravated. Sam places her hand on his upper arm, in hopes of providing him a bit of comfort. The rest of the class tries harder after seeing Hermione perform it perfectly. Unfortunately, as with most of his spellwork efforts, Seamus sets fire to his feather and scorches his hair.

Sam leans over to Harry, "That poor boy is going to be bald by our third year."

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor."