devil's snare

That night, the four of them quietly run down the stairs into the common room. They run into Neville, sitting in one of the chairs.

"You're sneaking out again, aren't you?" He asks.

Sam holds her hands up, "Now, Neville, listen. We were-"

"No, I won't let you! You'll get Gryffindor into trouble again," he holds his fists up, "I'll fight you."

"Neville, I'm really, really sorry about this. Petrificus Totalus." Hermione stuns him and he falls flat to the floor, like a statue.

"You're a little scary sometimes, you know that? Brilliant, but scary." Ron informs.

As they walk out, they all whisper apologies to Neville. Once they exit, they throw on the Cloak of Invisibility and begin to walk to the third floor.

When they reach the door, Sam pulls out her wand, "Alohomora."

They step inside the room, to hear a harp playing quietly in the corner.

"Wait a minute, he's-" Ron starters as a loud breath blows the cloak off of them.

"Snoring." Sam says.

"Snape's already been here. He's put a spell on the harp," Harry explains.

They tiptoe up to Fluffy and notice his paw is covering the trapdoor.

"We have to move its paw," Harry whispers.

"What?" Ron asks in fear.

"Come on."

They gently grab its paw and push it from the door. Fluffy twitches slightly, but stays asleep. They crouch down and pull the door open, but only see darkness.

"I'll go first. Don't follow until I give you a sign. If something bad happens, get yourselves out...does it seem a bit quiet to you?" Harry asks.

"The harp," Sam says, "it stopped playing."

A large spot of drool lands on Ron's shoulder and they all look up to see Fluffy wide awake. He begins barking loudly and biting at them.

"Jump!" Sam shouts. They all jump through the door and it closes right after them. They land in a dark room full of black vines.

"Lucky this plant thing's here, really," Ron laughs.

The vines begin to move and wrap around each of them tightly.

"Stop moving. This is Devil's Snare. You have to relax. If you don't, it will only kill you faster." Hermione states.

Ron scoffs as he tries pulling the vines from his neck, "Kill us faster? Oh, now I can relax."

"Shut up and do as she says Ron," Sam snaps.

She and Hermione both begin to sink through the vines.

Harry and Ron shout, "Sam! Hermione!"

Sam shouts from below, "Just relax, we're alright! You need to sit still!"

Harry relaxes and he also slips through and falls to where the girls are.

Sam pulls him up and rubs her wrist, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. He's not relaxing is he?"

"Apparently not," Sam says as she pulls out her wand, "Lumos Solem."

A bright beam of sunlight fires through her wand and up into the vines, pulling Ron through.

Harry and Hermione look at her in wonder. She pulls Ron up and dusts off her clothes, "Devil's Snare. It hates sunlight."

A flittering sound is coming from the door directly behind them.