honor & loyalty

The next day, Dumbledore calls everyone into the Great Hall. Black banners hang along the walls and from the ceiling. Sam sits next to Harry, holding his hand to remind him he's not alone.

"Today, we acknowledge," Dumbledore says, "a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!" Harry swallows and Sam squeezes his hand, "The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me and reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true, right to the very end."

On the final day of school, Sam packs her things as she thinks about everything that has unfolded this year. Voldemort has returned, and he will build an army, and he will come for them. Dumbledore walks into her dormitory and sits on her bed.

"I just spoke with Harry, and I told him the same thing I am about to tell you. Difficult times lie ahead and as your powers grow, things will be increasingly difficult for you. I believe the time will come where you will have to face the choice between what is right and what is easy."

"My friends witnessed me at my worst, professor. I can never take that back. But what's worse... when I felt my magic- the Montclair magic, I liked it. I felt powerful... but I don't want to be dark, sir."

"You know, you are so much like your mother. She too, did all that she could to learn control. That is why I've decided to set up a safe house. Now that Voldemort is back, the old Order must return as well. I think it would be wise for you to stay with Sirius this summer, but do not worry, I've asked Arthur and Molly to join at the house as well. He can teach you how to control it."

She nods, "I'm sorry, professor. I- I didn't mean to cause more problems and destruction that night."

"No, you did what you could to help. I'd like to thank you."

She gives a faint smile and he exits the room. She sits for a while before it's time to leave. She goes to meet with her friends in the courtyard as everyone says goodbye to the others who joined them this year. She finds Harry in the crowd and he gives her a small smile. She makes her way over to him and Hermione and Ron find their way there as all. They all watch as the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang leave to return home.

"Do you think we'll ever just have a quiet year at Hogwarts?" Ron asks with a chuckle.

"No," they all answer in unison.

"No, I didn't think so. Oh, well. What's life without a few dragons?"

"Everything's going to change now, isn't it?" Hermione asks solemnly.

Harry places his hand on her shoulder, "Yes."

Sam grabs their hands, "But we have each other."

They all smile and nod.

"Promise you'll write this summer. All of you," Hermione commands.

"I won't. You know I won't," Ron remarks.

She turns to Sam who answers, "Obviously, yeah."

Finally she turns to Harry, "Harry will, won't you?"

"Yeah. Every week," he says sarcastically.

They step over to the balcony and watch as the Beauxbatons carriage flies away and the boat from Durmstrang sinks back into the water. They climb onto the train later that day and sit in their compartment discussing and laughing about each of their summer plans. When they arrive at King's Cross and step off onto the platform, Harry runs over to the twins.

"I wanted to give you both something," he says.

He hands them all of his winnings from the tournament, "To start up your business."

"What?" They both ask in shock.

"I have enough money, I don't need it," Harry smiles at them, before they can respond he walks away.

"Sam!" He calls after her.

She turns and smiles as he jogs over to her. He stands there awkwardly for a moment until she rolls her eyes and wraps her arms around his neck pulling him in for a kiss.

When she pulls away they both smile, "I'll be seeing you," she says.

He nods with the grin still plastered on his face as she walks away. She gets into the flying car with the Weasley's and they drop her off at 12 Grimmauld Place.

"Don't worry, dear. We'll be back in a couple weeks," Molly informs, "We just have to get a few things settled at the Burrow."

She hugs them all goodbye and winks at the twins and Ron, "See you losers in a bit."

They smirk, "Get ready for endless pranks, little S."

She walks into the house and drops her trunk in surprise. She runs up and shouts, "Dad!" before wrapping him into a hug as he laughs.