home isn't home anymore

After a few days, Harry pulls Sam aside one evening.

"I have to go somewhere with Dumbledore tonight, but before I go I wanted to make sure everything was alright. You've been distant the past few days."

She nods with a small smile, "Where you're going... will it be dangerous?"

"I'm not sure, honestly, but as long as I'm with Dumbledore, I'll be safe," he assures.

She pulls him in for a hug, "Come back to me, will you?"

He pulls away slightly and kisses her, "Always."

She smiles as he walks away and she decides she needs to talk to someone. She sits down and ponders who she should go to until a completely bizarre thought occurs. She stands abruptly and walks down to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. She walks up the stairs and knocks on the office door. The door opens to reveal Snape looking down at her questioningly.

"May I help you?"

She pulls her bottom lip into her mouth slightly, "I need to talk to someone."

He hesitates as he stares at her apprehensively, but he opens the door further and walks back into his office. He sits in the chair and motions for her to do the same in the chair across from his desk. She sits down and takes a deep breath.

"Can you tell me about my mother?"

He stares at her in slight shock for a few moments until her eyes fall to her hands that rest in her lap.

"She was unfailingly kind, your mother," Sam looks back up at him and he stands, making his way towards the window, "She was always there for those who needed a friend, she never cared who they were. She never cared about blood status or how much money your family held, she simply wanted to help those he needed it. In all my years, I've never met someone as compassionate and caring... not until your first year. I knew who you were instantly, you have her smile."

Sam gives a small smile as she thinks about what she remembers of her mum and he continues, "I never liked your father... but, your mother saw something good in him that I trusted. She always saw the very best in people."

"Do you think if she used her powers the night she... would she still be here?"

He looks over his shoulder at her and nods slowly.

"Why didn't she?" Sam asks as a tear falls.

"For you," he states simply, "And for herself. She saw what her powers were capable of very early on. She never used them after she turned fourteen. I think that if she had used them, she would've killed anyone within a ten mile radius, including you."

"I'm going to die anyway-" Sam lets out before she realizes it.

Snape turns around quickly and looks at her expectantly.

"The night we went to the Ministry, I found my prophecy... it said that I have a choice. Fight on Voldemort's side and become the weapon that could end everything, or stand next to Harry. If I choose to stand on the right side... I will die," a single tear falls down her cheek.

He sits back down across from her as she continues, "I don't want to die, professor, but I won't be the evil he wants me to be."

"That's why you're so much like her. She would give her life to save the ones she loves," Snape notes.

They both hear a loud crash and Sam stands abruptly.

Snape grabs her arm, "Come with me."

They walk quickly through the corridors and Sam looks around at the darkness and large storm clouds in the sky. He leads her up to the Astronomy Tower and he puts his index finger to his lips. She looks around and sees Harry below the deck and she runs to him quietly. He holds onto her and buries his head into her hair. They watch as Draco disarms Dumbledore. Sam tries to move, but Harry holds onto her.