dark vs. light

Fred and George find Sam sitting on the stairs of a deserted part of the castle, absorbed in her own thoughts. She notices them leaning against the opposite wall and she moves her gaze to the fall. The twins move to sit on the stairs in front of her. Without saying a word, George wraps her in his arms and holds her until her tears fall freely.

"I would- I would never hurt you," she chokes out, "I would rather die."

Fred rubs her back, "We know that."

"Does it look like we're afraid?"

"But they are," she insists, "they haven't spoken a word to me."

Fred and George look at each other with frustration, trying to figure out the best words to say. Sam pulls away from them and stands up.

"I knew this would happen," she begins to walk away before they grab her and pull her back.

"Woah, slow down," Fred says.

Sam turns quickly, "Okay," she startles them with her tone, "Let's say Harry and Hermione walked away. Fine, I'm heartbroken," she doesn't notice when the trio walks in, "But Ron? Your brother... my- my brother leaves, I'm devastated. I can't go home! All over my biggest fear! I would rather die than hurt any of you!"

Her pain quickly morphs into anger and her eyes begin to change, "How can they think I would ever let someone hurt them, let alone myself!" She can't tell if she's angry or in pain.

Harry looks into her eyes that have now, morphed into green. They are nothing like the boggart's, he can still see the light in them. They're beautiful. The twins don't back away in fear, from the obvious change in color.

They step closer, as she continues, "I can't control it, I'm trying- I'm trying. It hurts," she closes her eyes as more tears fall. Harry can't stand to see her in pain, he rushes to her and holds her tight as she sinks to the ground. The twins and Hermione quickly join to wrap their arms around her too, but Ron stands at the entrance in shock. When Sam finally opens her eyes again, she sees him standing there with tears pooling in his eyes.

"You thought- you thought I would leave you?" He croaks.

They all stand slowly, but Sam says nothing. Her eyes look broken. Ron walks slowly up to her and pulls her in for a hug that she didn't expect. He holds her tighter than he ever has before and buries his head in her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry," he says.

She gently brings her arms around him and whispers, "I'll never hurt you," she turns to look at the others, "any of you, ever."

Ron gently pushes her away, "We never thought you would."

Hermione steps forward, "We just know that was your fear, we didn't know how to help you."

Harry looks from the floor to Sam, "I'm sorry, the twins were right, we're horrible friends."

Fred and George nod in a joking manner, "We're never wrong."

Sam lets out a snort, "Unless you disagree with me."

They chuckle. As Sam looks between everyone of them she says, "You are the five people I love most in this world. Whatever darkness is in me, I will use it, only to protect you. I promise, I'll find a way to control it."