amortentia

Sam, Hermione and Harry walk through the halls at Hogwarts in between classes. Hermione is reading through the Daily Prophet.

"It's so easy for them to get to you," she notes in frustration, "You're bloody lucky you weren't killed, both of you. You have to realize who you are."

"We know who we are, Hermione," Harry says as he rolls his eyes, he realizes his outburst, "Sorry."

They turn the corner and walk into a scene none of them want to witness. Lavender is putting a necklace around Ron and she giggles loudly. She holds onto him and in a very gross public display of affection.

"Excuse me, I have to go and vomit," Hermione says sourly as she turns and walks down the hall.

Sam and Harry watch as Lavender hops onto Ron's back and continues to giggle obnoxiously.

"Aren't you happy we aren't that annoying?" Sam asks rhetorically.

"We're only that annoying in private," he remarks.

"Thank God," she sniggers as they walk away.

That night Harry goes to talk with Dumbledore, yet again. He usually fills Sam in afterwards on what he learns, which she's perfectly fine with. During those times, she and Hermione have permission from Professor McGonagall to leave the castle and practice her control. They are currently standing on the edge of the lake, a good distance away from the castle.

"Are you ready?" Hermione asks.

Sam nods and faces the lake as the moon reflects off the water. She lets her magic flow through her and her eyes shift as green light sparks from her hands. As she breathes out she pushes her hands out and upwards. The water of the lake moves up and creates a barrier like a wall. Sam and Hermione both grin at the accomplishment.

"Can you swirl it?" Hermione inquires.

Sam moves her hands in the motion of a half circle, testing how much movement she truly needs. The water begins to swirl like a tornado. Sam begins to add more water from the lake to the spiral, testing her capabilities.

"How much is it straining you?" She asks, wondering if she's giving into it too much.

Sam quickly comes to the realization that she's giving it too much control and she lets the water go. It falls to the ground and splashes onto them, soaking their clothes. She turns to Hermione sheepishly.

"Sorry," she scrunches her nose.

Hermione pushes her sopping wet hair out of her face, "It's fine, but you can't let it control you."

Sam nods, "Yeah, I know, I know."

She can feel leftover power coursing through her like a drug and she tries to shake it off, "Maybe we should take a break from those powers," she suggests.

"That's not a bad idea..." Hermione states, "Actually, I was kinda wanting to test something out."

"Enlighten me."

"I was thinking that maybe since you can target your screams now, maybe you could target and protect simultaneously," Hermione suggests hypothetically.

"You want me to target my scream and protect you at the same time?"

"Exactly. I'm not going to wear these," she holds up the earmuffs, "Do you think you can?"

"I suppose I'm going to have to," Sam laughs slightly, "Okay, I think I know how... here goes nothing."

Hermione steps behind her slightly, but stays relatively close. Sam inhales deeply as she unleashes a scream towards the water, she projects a protective barrier to the side of her. The water ripples and then begins to make large waves that flow across the lake to the opposite side. Hermione stares in awe as she can only hear a muffled scream. It doesn't hurt or put pressure on her head, she checks her ears for blood and they're completely fine. Sam stops and breathes in deeply. She turns around to check on Hermione and lets a grin pull at her lips upon seeing she's perfectly fine.