shell cottage

It's been a month since they arrived at Shell Cottage and everyday Sam finds Harry at the top of the hill that overlooks the beach. Harry goes there to escape the crowdedness. The cottage is now the temporary home of not only Bill and Fleur, but also Luna, Ollivander, Griphook, Hermione, Ron, Harry and Sam. Every couple days, another member of the Order will pop up to relay messages between the group.

Sam climbs up the hill and sits down next to Harry. No matter where they are, they can always hear the sound of the waves crashing to the surface. Most days, Sam and Harry will sit in a comforting silence on top of the hill. She knows he's desperate to come up with a plan, but they both crave each other's company when they know what lies ahead.

"We need to speak with Griphook," Harry says suddenly.

Sam gives an understanding nod, "We also need to speak with Ollivander. He might know more about the Elder Wand."

Harry lets out a sigh, but before he can stand up, Sam rests her head against his shoulder, "But not just yet."

Harry gives a small smile and looks back out towards the water, enjoying the moment of peace they have together. When they finally head back inside the cottage, they sit down with Ron and Hermione to discuss their slight plan.

"We need to speak with Ollivander and Griphook before we decide on our next move," Harry begins.

"Right now, we have the upper hand," Sam adds, "We've already destroyed three of the seven Horcruxes and You-Know-Who has no idea where we are."

Ron and Hermione nod as they all stand to speak with Griphook first. They make their way upstairs and knock on the door. When there is no response, Harry slowly opens the door and they stand inside the room.

"How are you?" Sam asks.

"Alive," he responds, simply.

"You probably don't remember-" Harry begins.

"That I showed you to your vault the first time you came to Gringotts?" Griphook interrupts, "Even amongst goblins you're famous, Harry Potter."

Harry looks down and Sam gently holds his hand.

Griphook points towards the sword, "How did you come by this sword?"

"It's complicated," Harry states, "Why did Bellatrix Lestrange think it should be in her vault at Gringotts?"

"It's complicated," he repeats Harry's statement.

Harry feels frustration rising in his chest, "The sword presented itself to us in a moment of need. We didn't steal it."

"There is a sword in Madam Lestrange's vault identical to this one, but it is a fake. It was placed there this summer."

"And she never suspected it was a fake?" Sam asks.

"The replica is very convincing," he responds, "Only a goblin would recognize that this is the true sword of Gryffindor."

"Who is the acquaintance?" Hermione inquires.

"A Hogwarts professor. As I understand it, he's now headmaster."

"Snape?" Ron asks in disbelief, "He put a fake sword in Bellatrix's vault? Why?"

"There are more than a few curious things in the vaults at Gringotts," Griphook implies.

"And in Madam Lestrange's vault as well?" Harry inquires further.

"Perhaps," he states.

"We need to get into Gringotts. Into one of the vaults," Harry notes.

"This is impossible," Griphook retorts.

"Alone, yes. But with you, no."

"Why should I help you?"

"I have gold. Lots of it," Harry answers.

"I have no interest in gold," Griphook argues.

"Then what?"

Griphook eyes the sword and points at it, "That. That is my price."