too late (hanni x fem reader)

hanni and y/n had been best friends since they were little. they did everything together and went through all of life's ups and downs side by side.

now, in their last year of high school, they were going on a school field trip together. they were both excited about the adventure ahead and couldn't wait to make more memories together.

when they were on the bus, on their way to their destination, they decided to sneak a few drinks they had smuggled in with them.

they snuck out to the field and settled down there with their alcohol.

"here," y/n poured a glass of the whisky for hanni.

hanni and y/n downed their glasses, cringing at the burning sensation in their mouths.

they started to pour each other more glasses of whisky. despite being unfamiliar with the taste of alcohol, they started getting used to it over time.

but before they knew it, they were both feeling a little tipsy and giggly. they began to talk about everything and nothing, as they always did, until hanni's face turned serious.

hanni turned to y/n, her cheeks flushed. she cupped y/n's face and spoke drowsily. "y/n ah, you know... I have been in love with you for four years."

y/n turned to her, her face in shock at the revelation.

"I've been too afraid to tell you... but I can't keep it in any longer," hanni said as she leaned in and gave y/n a peck kk the lips.

y/n stared at hanni as she pulled away.

"hanni... I'm sorry..."

hanni immediately understood what y/n was saying. y/n had no feelings for her at all.

"I'm sorry hanni, I only see you as my best friend, nothing more, nothing less," y/n said. tears streamed down hanni's eyes as y/n's words struck her.

y/n hadn't seen her the way she wanted.

"why? am I not good enough for you?" hanni asked.

"hanni, you are perfect in every way. I just... I just don't see you any other way. you're my best friend."

hanni's tears flowed down continuously, and y/n hugged her to comfort her. she didn't want to hurt hanni at all but she also didn't want to create a misunderstanding when she didn't have feelings for hanni at all.

the rest if the trip back to school was awkward. y/n and hanni barely talked. hanni was too upset and hurt that y/n only saw her as a friend.

y/n felt guilty for breaking hanni's heart like that.

after graduating high school, the both of them ended up in the same high school. they remained friends and never talked about the trip ever.

they just brushed it off like it never happened.

that was until hanni told y/n she was dating someone else.

"y/n, this is my new girlfriend, kim minji," hanni excitedly introduced her girlfriend to y/n.

"nice to meet you," minji said and shook y/n's hand.

"likewise," y/n said and shook minji's hand.

y/n was a bit confused because she thought hanni still liked her.

after a few minutes of conversation, minji left for her class and hanni was left alone with y/n.

"what do you think of her?" hanni asked.

"she seems nice," y/n plainly answered. hanni frowned, sensing something was wrong with y/n's tone.

"why are you talking like that?"

"what do you mean?"

"you don't sound too happy," hanni said.

"I am happy for you. I just thought you still had feelings for me," y/n replied.

"y/n, I thought we agreed to never speak on that again."

"I know... I just thought, maybe you still liked me."

"no, I don't. I realised you will never reciprocate my feelings so I moved on. I let go of my feelings for you."

"yeah, that's... that's great."

over the next few months, y/n watched as hanni and minji constantly acted lovey dovey.

she didn't know why, but she felt jealous of the interaction. she wanted to be in minji's spot, being the one hanni held hands with, smiled at, kissed at.

it was only when hanni said that she wanted to move to australia with minji to further pursue her studies that made y/n realise, she was in love with her own best friend.

the best friend whom she rejected.

"hanni, have you ever considered that maybe you wanna stay here?"

"not really, I planned it all out. I'm so excited to spend more time with minii there!" hanni exclaimed excitedly.

y/n gave her a fake smile, feeling sad that hanni was leaving her.

"hey, don't worry, I won't forget my best friend," hanni smiled sweetly at y/n.

best friend. y/n knew why hanni cried a lot the last time. being the one on the receiving end hurts.

as y/n watched hanni and minii go into the airport, she felt a pang of sadness.

before hanni could leave, y/n pulled her back.

she wanted to kiss her so bad.

she hesitated kissing her, and instead, pulled her into a tight hug.

"I'll miss you."

"me too," hanni said and hugged her back.

y/n smiled sadly as she watched their figures become smaller, and smaller.

y/n hated herself for realising her feelings for hanni too late.

it was too late. hanni moved on and y/n won't ever stand a chance again.

achilles_won