Chapter 3

'So a man who was worse off than you is now better off and you're pissed off, isn't that right?'

The current Duke of Ludwig and Count Riegelhoff had been rivals since childhood.

However, Count Ludwig, who was less powerful than Count Riegelhoff at the time, was awarded the dukedom after his great exploits in the war.

Count Riegelhoff believed that the dukedom was stolen from the Riegelhoffs.

"It was supposed to be mine because of my grandfather's great achievements. But he stole it, and the Emperor is a fool to give a dukedom to that bastard!"

Okay, well, that's a mental victory. I get it.

But why do I have to be the scapegoat for this revenge?

According to my newly formed memories, I was going to marry Duke Ludwig's son as bait to hide Count Riegelhoff's dark intentions, and he knew very well that if anything went wrong, I would be the first to lose my head.

'Why is my family like this in my past and present life? What did I do wrong?'

I felt like I was about to burst into tears, but I held it together. This wasn't a family where a daughter could cry and be comforted.

Still, it wasn't all hopeless.

In a week's time, I'll be out of this house, and I'll find a way to live in the Duchy of Ludwig, the main setting of the original story.

'Yes, there's a crisis at the beginning of every villainess possession story, and as long as I don't do things like Edit did in the original, I'll survive!'

I made up my mind and prepared myself for the dinner between the two families.

***

Despite my best intentions, I was overwhelmed by the majesty of the Ludwig Mansion. Riegelhoff Mansion was enough to dazzle me, but a duke is on another level.

Apparently, winning a war against a neighboring country was a big deal, so the mansion is incredibly large and luxurious.

'If the Ludwigs, who were less well off than him, were given a mansion like this, is it any wonder Count Riegelhoff was so jealous......?'

The difference was big enough to make me think so.

And I'm sure it wasn't just a mansion. I don't know, but I'm sure he got more, like estates and coffers of gold.

Anyway, it didn't matter to me.

'It's more important that I don't get beaten up for interrupting the negotiations today.'

Count Riegelhoff will try to negotiate to send some maids to Ludwig's mansion.

Of course, it's not because he's worried about my safety or livelihood.

The maids he wanted to send with me were all mercenaries, trained in assassination and theft.

'How can you even call them maids in the first place?'

Especially Sophia, the maid who brought in my washing water, who was quite a favored one, and who had been assigned to guard and watch over me at the Riegelhoff Mansion.

She is deferential to me, but in terms of power within the mansion, she is above me.

'And she is the one who helped Edith do most of her evil deeds in the original story.'

In other words, my life would be considerably safer if I don't take Sophia with me.

I took a slow, deep breath, trying not to show my nervousness, and followed behind Count Riegelhoff and my brother, Shane Riegelhoff.