Chapter 74

"She was on the verge of death, isn't it only natural for me, her husband, to take care of her?"

"Normally so."

It was hard to find in Cliff's smiling face any indication that he was up to something sinister.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing, I just thought you might have gotten hurt because of me, so I came to see you."

Cliff shook the bouquet of flowers in his hand slightly before passing it to Anna.

"What do you mean, hurt because of you?" Killian scanned his brother with a sharp glance.

"The truth is, I recommended Miss Edith to go sailing because you're into that sort of thing."

"Hey, Sir Cliff!"

Hey, why are you talking about that now, with Killian right in front of you?

"What? Did you two meet in private? Tell me what you talked about, be honest."

Killian's scowl deepened as if he was offended that there was something he wasn't privy to, and Cliff shrugged at me as I struggled to keep myself together.

"I was just trying to get you and my sister-in-law to get along a little better, so I told her a little about your interests – you like sailing and looking at art."

Killian looked at me.

I blushed, feeling like the woman who'd gotten information from Cliff in an attempt to win his heart.

But to my surprise, he didn't seem offended.

Killian asked me, "Did you?"

"No, well...... I- I've never been on a yacht either, so I was just curious......"

Why do I feel so embarrassed when I'm not guilty?

I don't need to look in the mirror to know that my face is ripe.

Killian smirked at me as I fidgeted with my hands, unable to answer.

Then he turned to Cliff. "By the way, I heard you went to your yacht the night before too. What did you do?"

"Oh...... to look for something."

"What did you look for to go to the lake at night? It's dangerous. You could have come with us the next morning."

Killian asked in a playful voice, but I recognized a hint of sharpness in his eyes.

"Actually, Lizé said she lost her favorite earrings, and I think she lost it the last time we went yachting."

"......Lizé?"

"Yeah. She was really upset that she couldn't find it, so I went over there, albeit a little late, but it wasn't there."

If Killian's brain is working properly, he's probably thinking the same thing I am right now.

'I wonder if Lizé also went to......?'

Lizé herself wouldn't have made the move. She would just have to get someone to.

'But I guess she didn't think to shut down Cliff's mouth.'

Yeah, well, if you accuse her of only saying she lost a pair of earrings, that's one thing. She didn't even ask him to look for it right away, he was just being overly loyal and going out at that hour to look for it.

'If it's really Lizé's doing, it's really meticulously calculated. It's a lot of faith to think that all you had to do was drop a clue and Cliff would do it.'