Chapter 46

Most of them hurriedly lowered their heads as if they had seen something they shouldn't have.

I wasn't pleased with the obvious rejection, but I forced a smile for the sake of the storyline change, not forgetting to repeat the mantra "choose and focus" in my mind.

And the effort was not in vain.

"Hello!"

"O- oh! H- hello."

"Thank you for your hard work."

"Ah...... yes, you- you are welcome."

A young freckled maid and a middle-aged servant tending to a worn railing returned my greeting.

'Yes, one by one, one by one......'

In fact, I didn't even need them to do much for me, I just needed confirmation that I wasn't a ghost.

With that, I went back to my room, feeling a little warmer. It was a mistake to get carried away and not pay attention to my surroundings.

"You're here, miss."

Sophia's voice sent a chill down my spine, and I heard the door close behind me before she wrapped her arms around my neck and pushed me against the wall.

"Ugh!"

"How dare you have the audacity to betray your master in an arrogant way?"

Somehow, it was only Sophia in my room.

After days of being teased by me, she seemed angry to the top of her head.

I could tell by the strength of her grip on my neck, which was much stronger than usual.

When I couldn't even groan because I was being choked so hard, she threatened me eerily.

"I'll give you one last chance: steal the tax records of the duchy's major estates from where you work now."

She loosened her grip slightly as if to give me a chance to answer.

I coughed and coughed to stall for time, but Anna showed no sign of returning.

"Cough...... if I refuse...... what happens?"

"You die, and I have the master's permission."

Sophia smirked, as if she wanted me to be shocked.

But I wasn't, as I'd known her intentions ever since she'd arrived here.

"If you kill me here and now, they'll know you're the one who did it."

"Don't think I'm as stupid as you are. I'll make sure to kill you in a way that makes it look like the Ludwigs did it."

So you're not going to kill me right here and now?

"Sophia, I'm going to give you one last chance. Please get your shit together. You've been here enough to know, the Ludwigs isn't that easy."

"Well. It seems to be a bunch of idiots, and the two young masters only have eyes for that illegitimate bitch."

"So...... you poisoned Lizé's embroidery thread?"

"What? Isn't that what you did?"

As expected, Sophia thought it was me. It was also clear that she never had the chance to even reach for the embroidery thread.

I took the opportunity when her grip loosened and struggled with all my might, barely able to break free from her arms.

But Sophia just stared at me like it didn't affect her.