Chapter 24

"Is this enough for a doll?"

I took out 200,000 sennas, the remaining money that I didn't put in the safe.

I was trying to relieve some stress, so taking out 200,000 sennas didn't feel as wasteful as before. Or maybe I'd gotten used to being an aristocrat in the meantime.

But Anna only picked up 50,000 sennas.

"With this much, you can order a pair of male and female dolls from a skillful craftsman."

I gave her the other 150,000 sennas and said, "Then use this to buy some good fabric for the dolls' clothes and some sewing tools. The rest is for your services."

"It's my job to serve you, so I don't need a fee."

"What, you don't want to accept anything from me?"

"Pardon? Oh, no, not like that......"

I had never seen Anna so flustered before. That alone told me what she had been through.

"Then what are you so nervous about? It's not enough to bribe you, and it's not enough to bruise my ego, so just take it as a thank you."

Anna hesitated for a moment, then complied.

"Thank you, miss."

"Be good to me. I've been so bored lately."

I knew from the start that Anna was here to keep an eye on me. And rightfully so.

But at least she didn't look at me with a glare or ignore me.

For that, I am grateful, and I've always wanted to reciprocate.

It would have been even more heartbreaking if Anna had ultimately rejected my sincerity.

And as if on cue, Anna brought me a box that evening with a pair of wooden dolls, a ring, and assorted fabric and buttons.

"How did they make it so quickly?"

"There was one that the orderer canceled. Lucky you! This one is really well made."

I was expecting a clunky piece of wood, but to my surprise, it was a sleek wood-carved doll with movable joints.

"Good job, Anna."

"Do you want me to get you a design for the doll's clothes?"

"Huh? C- can you do that?"

"I'll tell the boudoir and they'll draw it for you, I'll be right back."

Anna was strangely more friendly.

Was it really because of the tip......?

Anyway, thanks to Anna, I was able to start making clothes for my dolls the next day.

It wasn't until I started that I realized I wasn't very handy, despite my love of tinkering.

At first, I was annoyed that my stitches weren't turning out the way I thought they would, but I quickly changed my mind.

'It's not like anyone's evaluating me, so what if I'm not good at it? I'm just trying to have fun by wasting money and time, and that's the real luxury.'

Once I realized that this was part of the luxury, I relaxed and suddenly enjoyed every stitch.

I had to keep the threads from unraveling, which was a bit of a hassle, but I was thrilled every time a piece of fabric turned into a three-dimensional garment.

'Yes, this is my hobby, something that brings me joy whether I'm good at it or not!'

In my previous life, I never had this kind of peace of mind.