Chapter 82

'Hang in there, Killian. We're almost there!'

I glanced around, lifted my chin defiantly, and linked my arm with Killian's again.

Count Riegelhoff was frozen with his mouth agape, some people were chattering to each other with their fans over their mouths, and some of the ladies were pale.

As I realized in hindsight, Killian was just as popular as Cliff, and it seemed that the ladies who had been waiting for Killian's 'post-divorce' were surprised at my intimacy with Killian.

'So why was Leila Sinclair looking at me like that earlier?'

It was strange.

She was more surprised to see me holding onto Killian's arm than she was to see Lizé holding onto Cliff's.

'Well, Count Sinclair doesn't get along with Count Riegelhoff, maybe that's why.'

Perhaps it was Count Sinclair who had poisoned Lizé's embroidery thread, so it was a wonder that I, who should have been accused and disgraced, was unharmed.

'I can quell the rumors of a feud with Killian and screw over a bunch of hateful people at the same time, so I'm killing two birds with one stone!'

How far I've come from my previous life, where I was always getting stabbed in the back!

Leaving the shocked and stunned behind, we followed the Duke and Duchess of Ludwig.

"Your Excellency, the Duke of Ludwig, it's been a long time!"

"It's been a long time, too, madam!"

We were soon surrounded by people trying to greet the Duke and Duchess.

"I noticed your dress from afar, you look so good in it, Duchess."

"That's what I thought too! I'm too timid to try new styles, but how did you manage to pull off such a bold style? You're amazing."

"I promise you, sooner or later, the Duchess' dress will be the socialite's go-to style."

Luckily, the Duchess' dress was met with favorable reviews.

Of course, she's the Duchess, so no matter what she wears, she's going to get compliments.

"I'm a bit of a timid myself, and this was picked out by my daughter-in-law, Edith."

The Duchess glanced back at me and extended her arm in my direction.

I stepped toward her as Killian gently pushed my body forward.

"This is my daughter-in-law, Edith, who is married to my second son Killian. Edith, please say hello. This is Countess Ethelmann, and this is Viscountess Krause."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Edith Ludwig."

I bent my knees slightly and bowed to the older ladies.

"Oh, oh my. Hohoho! Nice to meet you, I'm Cecil Ethelmann."

"I'm Larissa Krause, nice to meet you."

They looked surprised, but responded graciously to my greeting.

I had a feeling that the feud between me and Killian would be better served by the Duchess.

As it was, I continued to greet a dozen more ladies and barely made it out of the place when a dance tune echoed through the ballroom.

"Well done."

After pulling me out of the way, Killian stood close to me, his hand on my waist.

By then, I already wanted to run away from this ball.