Chapter 71

"Shall we take a lap around the lake?"

"Sure."

As if they'd done this many times before, Samuel and Killian took me for a lap around the lake in the yacht.

I relaxed and watched the sunlight break on the deep blue water.

Every now and then, a small fish broke the surface.

"Look there, Killian! Oh, there again!"

"Don't stick your head out too far. It's dangerous."

But there was no wind, and the yacht wasn't tilting in the slightest, so Killian wasn't actively trying to stop me.

There was no way one woman was going to cause the yacht to tilt.

I clung to the front of the yacht, stretching out my hand toward the jumping fish.

There was no way I could reach them, but it felt good just to feel the cold water.

Killian watched me, smiling, and then coiled up the rope on the floor.

And then,

"Uh......?"

The surface of the water suddenly seemed to loom over me. It was only then that I realized my body was tilted.

"Ahh!"

"Edith!"

I could hear Killian's urgent voice in the distance, but there was no way I could have defied gravity.

Time seemed to pass so slowly that I wondered if it was real, and then I fell into the cold lake.

"Gah! Cough, cough! Ki- Killian......!"

What a disgrace.

I was just worried about getting scolded by Killian.

I had no idea how I'd ended up in the water, but I figured I'd get a scolding for not heeding his warning not to go too far out.

"Edith, hold on tight to this!"

I saw Killian toss a rope in my direction.

I reached for it, swung my leg over, and the end of the skirt of my dress caught in the heel of my shoe and tangled.

"Ack!"

Suddenly, the dress felt heavy and I sank.

I flailed my limbs, but the more I did, the farther away from the yacht I went.

"Edith! Edith!"

The water was increasingly blocking my vision.

I choked on the lake water as it washed over my nose and mouth, and a cold sense of dread gripped me.

'Let's stay calm, I can't die here, it's Killian who's going to kill me, I can't die here!'

I repeated the thought and tried not to panic.

In the distance, I saw Killian take off his vest. It looked like he was about to jump into the water.

'No! It's dangerous!'

I had to stop him.

I remember learning that when rescuing a drowning person, you shouldn't just jump in blindly.

You have to throw a rope or tube towards me first...... but why is the yacht so far away......?

I managed to get my shoes off and my feet were free, but the water was cold and I felt increasingly numb.

I felt the strength drain from my flailing limbs and realized my body was sinking.

My breath caught in my throat.