Chapter 8

"So, what was her reaction?" Duke Ludwig asked Philip, who had given Edith a tour of the mansion.

"She followed my instructions well, and has a surprisingly good grasp of the layout of the mansion, especially the Sistine Hall, where the artworks are displayed."

"Did you notice anything strange?"

"No, not at all. In fact, contrary to the rumors, she was very dignified."

"Ha! Count Riegelhoff must have trained her for that."

Duke Ludwig furrowed his brow and tapped his fingertips against the end of his chair's armrest.

She might have been trained by that snake, but surely Edith was not as rumored.

At yesterday's wedding, in addition to her vulgar dress, she maintained an elegant and upright posture to greet the guests, and although she must have been tired, she didn't lose her smile throughout the day.

Even after Killian's rude behavior during the ring exchange, she kissed the ring bearers affectionately and didn't make things awkward.

She doesn't match the rumors that label her as arrogant and inconsiderate.

'Rumors are often inflated by sensationalism......'

In fact, he and his wife had braced themselves for a visit this morning.

They had already heard that Killian had not spent the night in the bridal chamber.

They knew she would come and question them. Whether it was about how they raised their son or how he disrespected her, Edith had plenty to say.

But she literally came to say good morning.

The Duke tried to provoke her, but it only backfired.

'Killian, he's making things difficult, and we're running out of things to say!'

It was no secret that Killian was in love with Lizé.

Duke Ludwig loved her as much as his own daughter, and had planned to make her his daughter-in-law.

But until this year, Count Riegelhoff had to be kept on a leash to keep him from aligning himself with Archduke Langston, so he could not refuse the offer of a marriage alliance with Edith.

As sorry as he was for Killian, he couldn't give Cliff, his heir, the daughter of Count Riegelhoff, and after much persuasion, Killian and Edith were finally married.

"Don't force me to be anything more than a couple on paper."

Killian walked away with those words, looking as if he had lost his soul, and the Duke could say nothing.

But Edith was rumored to be a wicked woman, and Killian's neglect of her would at least maintain his justification for expelling her later.

I never thought Edith would be so calm and docile......

Duke Ludwig sighed, and Philip coughed lowly beside him.

"As a matter of fact...... on our way back through the Great Hall, Miss Edith spotted Young Master Killian on the balcony opposite."

"Balcony? No way......!"

Duke Ludwig frowned at the word 'balcony'. On the balcony of the Great Hall, Lizé and his two sons often took tea.

"Yes...... Miss Lizé was having tea with Young Master Cliff and Young Master Killian."

The Duke covered his forehead with his hand.

Yesterday was the wedding, and the groom had not even spent the first night in the bridal chamber. The next morning, the bride saw him flirting with another woman.