Chapter 59

'What about all those rumors about Edith?'

Killian was not one to judge someone based solely on uncertain rumors, but the rumors about Edith Riegelhoff were too abundant and too consistent.

But from what he had seen of Edith herself, she could hardly be what they said she was.

'Who on earth is the venomous, vicious, lascivious Riegelhoff family flower snake referring to?'

The inscrutable question kept nagging at him.

'Does it have something to do with the fact that she said it was her first time at the opera and her first time receiving flowers......?'

Killian began to harbor new suspicions about Count Riegelhoff.

'I'll have to watch Edith more closely in the future.'

He had a feeling that digging into the truth she was hiding would lead him to a much bigger truth.

While he was lost in thought, there was a knock on his bedroom door. If anyone would come at this hour, it would be someone close to him.

'Edith?'

His heart skipped a beat.

Killian opened the door, his heart racing.

But it wasn't the person he was expecting.

"Sorry for coming this late at night, Killian. May I speak with you for a moment?"

"Lizé......"

Lizé had never come by at this hour before.

Killian let her into the room, looking uneasy and anxious.

"What's wrong? You don't look well."

"Killian. I'm here to talk to you about something I'm not sure what to do."

"Is that so? Then sit down and tell me. What's going on?"

"Well...... it's about......"

Lizé fidgeted for a long moment, biting her lip.

Her white skin looked even paler today.

"Lizé. The fact that you came to me means you trust me, right? Then don't worry, talk to me, I'll help you with anything."

Killian's soothing voice seemed to give Lizé some courage as he patted her delicate shoulder.

"Killian. One of the maids at the mansion...... disappeared today."

"Disappeared?"

"She left all her belongings behind, but she was nowhere to be seen."

"Did she go out and not come back?"

"I don't know, no one has seen the maid since the lights went out last night, but......"

Watching Lizé's eyes waver, Killian realized that this was what she wanted to talk about.

"Of course, it's something I can't be sure of yet, and I don't believe all of it myself, but......"

The way Lizé spoke in circles made Killian feel uneasy.

"Lizé. What is it you want to say? Say it."

At the sound of Killian's low voice, Lizé closed her eyes tightly.

"The maid said she saw Edith poison the embroidery thread, and she said she'd tell Cliff today...... and then suddenly disappeared......"

"What......?"

Lizé's hands were trembling.

Normally, Killian would have been paralyzed by the way Lizé was talking and would have gone to get Edith right away, but now he couldn't take this story lying down.