Chapter 72

"I'm fine, but your complexion is so bad."

"Do you think I'll be okay when you're on the verge of death?"

I'm touched. He actually seems to have a soft spot for me.

I gently brushed his tousled hair out of his face, trying not to look too pleased.

"How long have I been unconscious?"

"Three days, Edith. You just woke up for the first time in three days."

"What? Three days?"

My eyes widened.

I didn't feel like I'd slept that long......

Regardless, I had to get things straightened out.

"Killian. What on earth happened to you? I heard the yacht had a malfunction."

"We're looking into it now. Upon examining the yacht, I found that some important screws in the cockpit had come loose. I'm assuming that Samuel was neglecting his duties, or that he was paid off by someone."

"I don't think so, Killian."

"Edith......?"

He's an extra who probably isn't even mentioned in the original story, but he has already become known as "Samuel" in this world.

I don't want him to die for nothing at the hands of the author.

"Why would he do something that would get him caught so quickly, he was even on the yacht with you. I'm sure the real culprit has been keeping an eye out all this time."

Killian sighed and hugged me. Then he whispered in a voice only my ears could hear.

"I think so, too. It's just a warning from whoever it is."

"Killian......!"

"We're not neglecting our investigation into Samuel, of course, but we don't have any leads yet."

The frustration of having to investigate a crime that left no evidence behind was evident in his voice.

But with the intervention of the author, who is no different from god, it would be impossible to find evidence.

"I don't think the culprit of this will be caught so easily. On the flip side, it also means that they're very determined."

"Determined on killing you......?"

"That's what I'm thinking, Killian. You're a good swimmer, aren't you?"

Killian nodded. I expected him to.

"That's why they were probably aiming for me."

"But why......"

"I think we need to know who did it so we can know why......"

Killian nodded and hugged me tighter. "For now, just focus on recovering yourself."

In his firm embrace, I let out a sigh of relief for the first time. "I know it's late, but thank you for saving me."

"I'm also thankful you're alive."

I enjoyed Killian's embrace for a moment longer before I lifted my head and said, "Don't punish Samuel. It's not fair for an innocent man to suffer when the real culprit is probably someone else."

"I know he didn't cause the breakdown on purpose or try to hurt you. But it was his fault that he didn't double-check the yacht that day, and he should be punished."

"You're all so forgiving of the mistakes of nobles, so why are you so harsh on the mistakes of commoners?"

Killian sighed, his brow furrowed. "Because the unlearned need a good education."