Chapter 116

"I, too, must find Edith. Even if she is a spy, there is no denying that she is my wife."

"Killian! Are you saying that you will put your personal feelings above the family name?"

"If Edith is truly guilty, I will punish her. Even if she has to be killed, I will do it myself!"

Killian's mood was fierce, as if he would draw his sword at any moment.

He turned toward the knights guarding the mansion. "I'm going to check the site where my mother and Lizé were kidnapped right now! Leonard, pick ten men and get them ready!"

But Cliff's anger at almost losing Lizé was not to be denied.

"Father," he said, "I'll send more people. I'll find Edith Riegelhoff and bring her before you!"

At the mention of "Edith Riegelhoff," Killian glared at Cliff.

Unfortunately, there was no time to argue about Edith's name.

Killian stormed off to the Wellesley's abandoned villa, ignoring the welcome dinner that had been prepared for their return from the war.

"Come back unharmed, and prove all your bragging about how great you are."

I kept thinking of Edith, who smiled steadfastly even though she was ignored by Duke Ludwig, and that last smile kept coming to my mind.

No, actually, not just at this moment, but throughout the war, I couldn't stop thinking about that smile, those warm eyes, and the dizzying scent of roses.

I thought of Edith, who must have struggled night after night knitting the sloppy arm warmers she gave me. It was a genuine smile that day.

'Edith, where are you?'

If she really was a spy for the Riegelhoffs, I had to find her first.

'I must find her and keep her safe and hidden. I will take her secretly to Ryzen and have a child with her, and neither my father nor brother will be able to do anything about it.'

The cold wind stung his cheeks, but Killian didn't slow down a bit, and it didn't take him long to reach Wellesley.

"There it is!"

The knight who had been with Cliff on the hostage rescue led Killian to the villa where the incident had occurred.

The air still reeked of something rotting, but Killian didn't let that stop him from entering the villa.

Bloodstains on the floor and walls gave him a rough idea of what had happened here that day.

"The Duchess was at the end of the room over there, and Lady Lizé was at the other end of the room."

"Did you search every nook and cranny?"

"At- at that time...... the Duchess was not in good condition and we had to return quickly......"

Without listening to the knight's answer until the end, Killian ordered the knights behind him to search each room.

He headed for the storage room on the first floor where Lizé had first opened her eyes.

"Turn on more lights!"

He ordered two more lanterns to be lit in the poorly lit area, and then knelt down on the floor of the empty storage room.

"Y- Young master......?"

The other knights were bewildered, not knowing what he was doing, but Killian scanned every inch of the floor with the lantern.