Chapter 81

"......you look beautiful today, too, Edith."

I actually liked the fact that he hesitated a bit before speaking.

He could have said nothing, but it meant he worked up the courage to compliment me.

"You look great today, too, father. Your two sons better be on their toes."

The Duke chuckled in response, and we made our way to the palace in good spirits.

The Ludwigs headed to the palace in two separate carriages, while I, Killian, Lizé, and Cliff traveled together in a single carriage.

The weather was a perfect fall day and the air was getting colder.

The fall foliage lining the main road to the palace was as beautiful as the bright spring flowers, and the nobles seemed to be in good spirits as they headed to the biggest ball of the year.

I was gazing out of the carriage window with excitement when Killian gently poked me in the side.

"Wouldn't it have been better to bring a shawl or something?"

"Yes? Me?"

Killian looked at my exposed shoulders and forearms and nodded.

"This is fine, it's not like we're going to be walking around outside."

"And if you catch a cold......"

"It's okay. Everyone comes dressed like this, and Lizé's not much different than me."

Lizé's dress had sleeves, but they were see-through.

Killian remained silent there, but after a moment he looked at me again and tapped my foot.

The closer we got to the palace, the more the carriage slowed down as many other carriages were moving, and it seemed he couldn't wait to play a prank on me.

I found it both surprising and cute that he would play a prank on me, so I tapped his foot twice.

This childish prank was taking place beneath the width of my wide skirt, so neither Cliff nor Lizé could see it.

"Ahem!"

Killian giggled, feigning a coughing fit, and tapped my foot again.

By the third time, it took quick, light footwork and the ability to pretend it wasn't happening.

I pretended to be looking out the window and moved my foot as he tapped.

Killian and I distracted ourselves with childlike antics, biting our lips tightly to keep from bursting out laughing.

But our prank ended sooner than we thought.

"Don't you think there's a weird noise coming from somewhere?" Lizé asked Cliff with a worried look on her face.

"I'm sure it's nothing, Lizé."

"But maybe it's the noise of something breaking somewhere in the carriage?"

"Hmm...... well, more likely than that...... it could be two friendly canaries pecking at the carriage."

"Yes?"

Lizé furrowed her brow, then looked at me and Killian.

"Uh...... I'm sorry if I caused you worry. Did I scare you?"

"Were you really worried that the carriage was going to break?"

I asked with an awkward smile and Killian followed suit, and Lizé smiled in response.

"Don't be nervous, Lizé. You're going to be the star of the ball tonight."

Cliff, sensing that Lizé was nervous, put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her lightly on the forehead.