Chapter 105

"Edith......?"

"Lizé. What are you doing here?"

"Just checking the door lock. What are you doing at this hour, Edith?"

"I was about to check the door lock, too. We seem to be very worried."

I laughed dryly.

I was a little surprised to see Lizé in the place where the original Edith installed the anti-lock, but she said she was just checking the door lock.

'Is this what they call a thief's legs go numb[1]?'

[1] A thief's legs go numb is an idiom that means: A state in which a person automatically feels uneasy because he or she has done something bad, worried that others will find out.

I walked over to Lizé, locked the back door, grabbed the doorknob, and gave it a few shakes.

The door remained securely locked.

"Looks like things are okay here, Anna and I have already checked the east hallway, now we're going to the west hallway."

"I have checked the west hallway......"

"Then you can check the east hallway and I'll check the west hallway, because it'll be more accurate if we do it twice."

"I guess so."

I waved to Lizé, who was still pale, and then walked with Anna toward the west hallway.

'Nothing's going to happen, nothing's going to......'

I repeated the words as if they were a mantra.

I refused the Riegelhoffs' last warning to cooperate with them, and I wouldn't install any strange devices on the back door.

Every day, I've been checking every corner of the mansion to make sure there's no sleeping incense.

It's been a week since I checked the back door of the mansion every night, I kept telling myself that everything would be fine.

As usual, I checked the back door while Anna checked the hallway to the warehouse.

'Huh?'

The back door, which normally locks with a solid click, made a creaking sound, giving me the feeling that it wasn't locked properly.

'No way......!'

My heart suddenly started beating fast.

I opened the back door to see that Anna hadn't yet emerged from the warehouse-side hallway, and groped around inside the opening for the lock.

I touched something square and foreign in texture.

'No, that can't be......'

Even though I knew it couldn't be, I pulled the 'something' out with my fingernail, stuffed it in my pocket, and closed the back door again.

-clunk.

The back door locked firmly with the same sound as usual.

I felt a chill run down my spine and my back felt damp with a cold sweat.

"Miss......?"

"Eh! Huh?"

I thought it was Anna, but one of the maids who was carrying the laundry was looking at me strangely.

"What are you doing here?"

"I- I'm checking the door lock every night. Are you...... still working when it's so late?"