Chapter 14

"Killian? What are you doing there?"

The quiet atmosphere stirred slightly.

"Ah, Lizé......"

"What's wrong?"

Killian, who had been lost in thought on the balcony overlooking the moonlit garden, smiled faintly as he saw Lizé approaching, looking like she had come from the moon.

"No, nothing......"

"Nothing? Is it because of that fight you had with Cliff earlier?"

"Fight with Cliff? Me?"

"I mean...... about the estate inspection......" Lizé trailed off, unable to say more.

Suddenly Killian remembered how Cliff had taunted him earlier.

"Alas, that was nothing."

"Then what is it?"

Killian met Lizé's eyes looking at him with concern.

In the past, he used to love the way Lizé looked at him with concern, and sometimes he'd even purposely pretend to be in a serious mood just to be in her line of sight.

I still like the way she looks at me, but I'm not doing anything stupid to intentionally worry her. It's not like I have anything major to worry about, just nagging thoughts about that woman since tea time earlier.

"Something's bothering me."

"You're suffering alone again. Tell me, maybe there's something I can do to help."

"It's not even worth your time."

Killian smiled, but Lizé, ever the shrewd one, quickly realized something.

"Is this about Edith......?"

Instead of answering, Killian let out a long sigh.

"Why Edith? Do you still hate her that much?" Lizé asked again.

"She keeps bugging me."

"Does she? Edith never even talks about you......"

Killian's brow creased. "She doesn't talk about me at all?"

"I've never heard Edith talk about you...... and the Duchess gave me a complicated look when she said she hadn't heard of it either."

"Ha......!"

He laughed, feeling a little absurd.

"Why? Is it because you want to talk to her?"

"Who wants to talk to such a woman!"

She's a snake's offspring.

Right now, she's just lying flat on the floor, waiting for everyone to let their guard down. And when the time comes, she's sure to show her fangs.

I don't even want to look at her, let alone talk to her.

"Wow...... you're hurting me like this?"

"I'm a human too."

I don't know why her words kept coming back to me.

No way, she got hurt by something like that?

We both knew it was an arranged marriage.

She was the brave one who set foot in House Ludwig alone because she had something to gain, knowing that she'd be ignored and suspected.

Such a woman can't be hurt by a few harsh words.

'Yeah, I'm sure she was just pretending to be hurt so she could stab me.'