Chapter 134

'I had already fallen for Edith by then, and on that subject, I wanted to believe that I was different from other men.'

I was stupid, childish, and arrogant.

'I wish I had talked to her more seriously back then...... I think I've hurt her too much over the years, for such a sweet girl......'

Killian let out a long sigh as he watched Edith celebrate the wedding of the woman who had tried to hurt her.

'If she's left alone, she'll probably pretend to be strong and take it all out on everyone else, but no, I'll protect her.'

She lifted her chin in defiance and said what she had to say, but in the end, she was the one who embraced him.

"Lizé's so beautiful today, it's almost unreal."

"You're prettier."

Lowering his face to Edith's ear as she clapped her hands, Killian pretended to answer, then kissed her cute little auricle and nibbled on it.

Ears are Edith's weak spot.

"Aw! Killian!"

Just looking at Edith flinching made Killian drool.

"How long will the wedding last?"

"I don't know, but the reception will go until midnight."

"......shit."

Edith smirked at Killian's low swearing.

"Do you know how eager a bride is to take off her heavy dress immediately?"

"Is it just me who can't get you undressed right now?"

Cringing at the lewd whisper of Killian's voice, Edith glanced playfully at Killian and slapped him on the forearm.

Then she whispered in his ear, "After the luncheon, we can disappear for an hour and no one will know."

"That's nice to hear. Your room, or mine?"

"......or the balcony on the third floor where no one comes?"

"Ha...... really, you're going to torture me."

"Remember your grandfather's funeral, Killian. Oh! Our turn to clap."

Killian and Edith clapped along with the others, putting on the dignified faces of a count and countess again, but inside they were just a pair of newlyweds drunk in love.

***

Killian's creation as Count of Ryzen had been decided while I lay convalescing.

At the time, it was apparent that Killian would be going down to Ryzen any day now, so Duke Ludwig hastened to report to the imperial court, and on paper, Killian was Count Ryzen from then on.

Cliff and Lizé's wedding had delayed our departure, but we did not neglect our preparations, and soon after Cliff and Lizé's wedding, we were on our way to Ryzen.

"Take care of yourself."

"Please stay in good health, mother and father. I will write to you as soon as I arrive."

On the day we left Ludwig Mansion, the Duchess could hardly contain her tears, and the Duke, too, was in a mood of sadness and remorse.

But since Cliff was already the heir apparent, it was only natural that the second son should receive another title and leave for the estate after marriage.

"I'm jealous that you're one step ahead of me," Cliff said wistfully as he shook Killian's hand goodbye.

"Come to think of it, I am. I guess it's been that way since I got Edith."