Chapter 129

"The doctor said you should be careful for a month, so make yourself comfortable and let me take care of you."

Anna spoke in a businesslike voice as she pulled my clothes off with her skillful hands.

But I know the sincerity behind that voice.

Because when everyone else was saying bad things about me, or saying they didn't know, or didn't see, she was the one who stood up for me through all the grueling interrogations.

'When we get to Ryzen, I'll keep you as my personal maid for a few years and then promote you to head maid.'

I thought it would be too much to ask of her, given her young age. But she's bright and perceptive, so it won't be long before she becomes a head maid.

After cleaning me up, Anna went straight to preparing my breakfast. We usually eat breakfast and lunch around 11 or 12, but Killian insisted on a light soup breakfast.

Of course, the soup wasn't 'light', it was often made with precious ingredients that Killian had scrounged up here and there.

"Today's soup has mushrooms and minced beef."

From Anna's description, it sounded like the Ottogi Soup [1] I had occasionally eaten in my previous life, but the beef in this soup was from a famous production area, and the mushrooms must have been more expensive than beef.

[1] A brand name of instant soup.

"I'll enjoy it."

As I scooped up spoonful after spoonful, Killian walked into the bathroom to take a bath and change.

And Anna would stay by my side while Killian did what he needed to do the day, and then when he came back and was by my side, she would go and do something else...... and it just kept repeating.

But today, when Killian came back a little earlier than usual and joined me for breakfast, he didn't look happy.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just......"

"Just......?"

Killian gave me a look that seemed even more complicated than it already was, and then sighed heavily.

"I realized that I was a human being who couldn't see people and be objective."

"All of a sudden? What do you mean?"

"I don't know how all these years I'd been thinking of Lizé as some kind of angel. Besides, I thought my father and brother were morally unblemished people, really......"

That's because you had to go with the flow of the original story......

I knew I couldn't say this to Killian, though, so I just laughed.

"Why are you doing this again?"

"Lizé's still playing dumb about what happened that day. Even though there are so many witnesses...... and my mother and Cliff are feeling sorry for her."

Looking at him again, Killian seemed pretty pissed off. He must have been trying to keep his temper in check in front of me.

"My father is distancing himself from Lizé, but I think Cliff has been coaxing my mother, who doesn't know the whole story, and she asked me...... if I could forgive Lizé just once. I got pissed off and said it's not something that's up to me, so she asked me to ask you...... once."

I nodded.

Cliff aside, it wasn't like I couldn't understand the Duchess' feelings.

No matter how sorry she was for me, she had only known me for a year, and Lizé had been like a daughter to her for the past six years.