Chapter 97

"By the way, Your Excellency...... did you ever mention to anyone else that you suggested that Lizé and I go out?"

"Who would I say such a thing to?"

Admittedly, it was hard to imagine the tiger-like Duke talking about his daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law with anyone around.

'Besides, it was Lizé who took me directly to the Millane Bookstore, so...... no, no, no, they could be accomplices.'

I observed the Duke closely until the end, then bowed politely and left.

Then I went to see Lizé, who was lying in bed, looking even more pale than I was.

"E- Edith!"

Lizé greeted me with a guilty look, tears pooling in her large eyes.

Beside her stood Cliff, his brow furrowed.

"Are you okay, Lizé?"

"I- I'm fine...... but because of me...... sob...... I'm sorry, I really didn't see that coming."

"Who would have expected such an accident? I mean, it's kind of weird, isn't it?"

I smiled, wiping Lizé's sweaty forehead with the handkerchief beside me.

If anyone were to look at her, they'd think she was the one who almost died. She looks very unwell.

'Was it such a shock that I almost died? Well, I'd be shocked if someone I went out with almost got killed by a stalker.'

I decided to be generous and assume that a normal person would be shocked.

But I still have a question.

"Lizé, by any chance, did you plan in advance to go with me to Le-Belle Marie?"

"No! When the Duke asked me to go shopping with you, it just popped into my head, because Le-Belle Marie is the only place I know."

"Is that so?"

Cliff's gaze toward me was becoming colder.

His mouth has been smiling since a while ago, but his eyes seem to have a thin layer of ice.

"You mean you never told anyone?"

"Never."

"Okay. I'm not hurt, and the person who did this to me killed himself after he went on a rampage, so...... now dust yourself off and get up."

I patted Lizé on the shoulder and stood up.

Lizé pushed herself to her feet, her face as if asking if I was done with my business.

"Edith...... are you sure...... you're okay?"

"Hmm...... the fear of almost dying doesn't go away quickly, but with Killian by my side...... I'm trying to get through it."

"Sob...... I'm sorry."

"Lizé. Don't cry, Lizé. You don't have to feel so guilty for something you didn't do on purpose. Hm?"

I said it playfully, but if Lizé was the culprit, or if the author who created this whole situation was watching, they would get the meaning behind it.

'I mean, you're crying because you have your own reasons.'

As I stood up to leave, Cliff was glaring at me, his polite smile gone.

"You made it sound like Lizé put you in danger on purpose."

"When did I?"

"Your words, your every word. Is that all you can say to Lizé who is shaking with guilt over something as small as going to the bookstore together and not finding you and leaving first?"