Chapter 110

Maybe, just maybe, Shane would storm the Ludwig mansion like in the original story, but since the Duchess and Lizé weren't kidnapped, my head wouldn't be cut off.

I was relieved while everyone else was tense and anxious.

We were ushered into the carriage by the knights after having our identities checked.

I was even more relieved when the knight who had been sent to the mansion during the identification process confirmed that everything was fine at the mansion.

'So...... what will happen now?'

The worst was over, but I still hadn't heard the voice tell me that I met the third exception condition.

That means it's not yet clear if I'm going to make it out alive.

"Edith. Don't worry too much. Everything's going to be okay."

The Duchess must have seen the anxiety in my expression, because she soothed me.

I smiled awkwardly and nodded.

The carriage we rode in sped through the dark night.

Since we left the party faster than anyone else, the road back to the mansion was quiet.

The Duchess told me not to worry, but she herself couldn't stop worrying, and Lizé chewed her lip, shaking with anxiety.

It was very quiet in the carriage, except for the loud squeak of the wheels.

'That's odd. Somehow, it seems too quiet......'

If only I could get rid of thoughts.

It was a wonder to me that my bad feelings were never wrong.

"W- who are you?!"

The escort shouted, and the carriage shook violently with a long horse whinny.

"Aahh!"

"W- what's going on?!"

Lizé and the Duchess shouted, hugging each other.

I, sitting across from them, leaned against the carriage wall to keep from falling over and tried to look out the window.

The sharp sound of swords clashing pierced my ears, and I knew something bad was happening.

'No way......!'

I gasped, wrapping my arms around the Duchess and Lizé as they hugged each other.

Just then, the carriage door burst open.

"It's been a long time, Edith."

"Shit......"

All sorts of expletives were running through my head.

It was, of course, Shane Riegelhoff who greeted me.

Even with the mask on, I couldn't mistake his sinister eyes or his eerie voice.

'I guess no matter how hard I try, if I can't meet the third exception condition, major episodes still happen......!'

It was hopeless.

And in the midst of it all, Shane grabbed Lizé's forearm.

"Come here!"

"Aahh!"

And then the carriage door on the other side from where Shane had entered opened, and masked men pulled the Duchess and me out.

"Lizé! Lizé!"

The Duchess reached for Lizé as she was dragged away by Shane, but the strength of the trained mercenaries was no match for the older woman.

"Get your hands off! Mother!"