Chapter 107

"I will go back to the mansion. If you send Killian, he might be swayed by a little affection."

The Duke nodded, granting Cliff's request. "Sure. Killian has a soft spot in his heart. Even if she's the daughter of an enemy, he might pity her."

He added, "In any case, this territorial war will be over soon. This will be their last stand, so don't let your guard down. A cornered mouse will bite a cat."

"I understand. Don't tell Killian about this."

"Okay. I'll tell him I sent you back because I think there's trouble brewing with the imperial family. You must leave quietly, at least for tonight."

"Yes, father. I'll see you in the capital later."

Cliff finished his secret talk with the Duke, and then he and his troops left quietly for the capital.

***

News of the territorial war varied from newspaper to newspaper, making it difficult to know exactly what was happening, but it was clear that Duke Ludwig had the advantage.

However, public opinion in society was not all in favor of the Emperor.

There were quite a few agitators on the side of Archduke Langston.

"I did not hope for this to be the result of my long absence from the party."

The Duchess sighed lowly as she made her way to the venue of today day's party, the mansion of Windham.

As Princess Catherine had said, people were more familiar with Count Riegelhoff and Archduke Langston, whose people popped up here and there, than they were with the Duke of Ludwig, who was rarely seen in social circles.

This began to sway the neutrals, and eventually the Duchess, Lizé, and I decided to attend the party.

"The Sinclairs will also be there today. So Lizé, don't leave my side."

"Yes."

Lizé was nervous, but she was trying her best to look nonchalant.

"And Edith...... are you sure you'll be all right?"

Even before leaving the mansion, the Duchess had been asking if I would be okay.

"Both factions will attack you," she added.

I know.

"The longer I hide, the more they'll point their fingers at me. As I'm the daughter of Count Riegelhoff and the daughter-in-law of Duke Ludwig, I'll have to face it, sooner or later."

I repeated what I had been saying since yesterday. If the Duchess keeps asking, even after hearing the same answer, it must be because she herself is worried.

To be honest, I don't want to go either.

I don't think I'd enjoy being in front of a bunch of people who would want to tear me apart.

'But it's about time Shane showed up.'

I don't want to be alone in the mansion and have to face Shane.

And surely, they'd accuse me of opening the door to the mansion.

'I feel like I'm going into a fox's den to escape a tiger.'

I steeled myself, barely holding back the sigh that threatened to escape.

I'm not usually the type of person to just ignore someone who starts an argument with me, but today I hope I can come up with a more reasonable response.

When we arrived at the mansion of Count Windham, the hall was packed.

It seems like everyone came when they heard Duchess Ludwig would be attending.