Chapter 9

The way she delicately flipped through the pages of a book with a fluffy shawl draped over her shoulders was pretty enough to make a woman like me gaze in fascination.

But I was the only one who saw her.

'Why is she alone? I thought there would be male leads where Lizé is......?'

But as soon as I thought that, Cliff appeared out of nowhere.

"Lizé."

"Ah, Cliff!"

"Why are you out here when the wind is still chilly?"

That's what I wanted to ask too. It's too cold to be outside reading a book. I'm cold, too.

"It's just so stuffy being cooped up in my room. I know it's chilly, but the air is so fresh, it's like I'm breathing."

"What if you catch a cold," Cliff said softly and sat down, snuggling closer to Lizé.

He asked again, "What are you reading?"

"A book on imperial history, because I'm not very educated...... but in case I can be of any help to the Duke......"

Lizé is on the family register of the Count of Sinclair, but she has been ignored as an illegitimate child and has not been taught any of the things that nobles are supposed to learn.

She felt indebted to the Duke and Duchess for treating her like a daughter, and she always carried a book with her for fear of embarrassing them somewhere.

'Poor thing, is it Lizé's fault she was born out of wedlock? It's her father's fault for mistreating her!'

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought so. Cliff wrapped his arms around Lizé's shoulders sympathetically and kissed her lightly on the head.

"You will never be someone else."

"But......"

"If you're reading it because you like it, then fine, but if you're reading it just because you want to be like someone else, then stop. All you have to do is enjoy yourself here, Lizé."

Cliff soothed her sweetly, but there was something bitter about her smile. And I think I know what she's feeling.

'Cliff, since you know everything, you'll think it's okay. But those who can't learn and don't have it don't think so.'

No matter how much Cliff embraces her, he can't make her feel better about herself.

I think she should find her own way and study for herself.

But Cliff is obsessed with her, and he doesn't want her to be on her own without him, so he's subtly flirting with her with those words.

Meanwhile, I saw Killian approaching.

"If she wants to study hard, why bother her? Lizé, do whatever you want to do, and if that's what makes you happy, I'm here to help."

It was a different kind of comfort than Cliff's, but if I were Lizé, I would have been more grateful to Killian.

But it was a weak line for a second male lead to say.

"I'll give you everything, all you have to do is look at me," is the line a male lead would say in a situation like this.

'Killian, I agree that you're right, but that's why you can't beat Cliff, he's an obsessive, twisted male lead.'

Cliff would rather have Lizé be the one who can't do anything without him. He can tolerate Lizé being sweet to Killian, but he's really anxious about her doing anything on her own without needing him.