Chapter 66

She would read a book, take a walk, bask in the sun, or drink tea, and seem to be at peace with herself.

If there was one thing that set her apart from other young ladies, it was that there was no "line" she drew when dealing with her subordinates.

All servants who deal with nobles feel it; they don't think of commoners as "people" in the same way they do themselves.

No matter how generous and compassionate they are, they always draw the line.

But not Edith.

"Let's eat together."

The first time she and Anna had been out on Darsus Street, Edith had casually shared her food with Anna at a restaurant for lunch.

Eating from the same plate as a maid would have been an embarrassment to a noblewoman.

"Why aren't you eating, Anna? Don't you like this?"

"Oh, no, it's not that...... how could I eat a lady's food."

"Huh? Then how am I supposed to eat all of this by myself? I want to try this, and I want to try that, and I can't eat it all by myself, so it's nice to eat with you......"

"Aren't you offended?"

"Huh? Why would I?"

Looking at Edith's furrowed brow and wide-eyed stare, Anna realized that there was no such thing as "line" with this young lady.

"If it's okay with you, young lady, then it's okay with me."

"I'm not sick...... and you won't get sick if you eat with me."

Anna, who had been a maid for ten years, had never seen a noble who was worried about his servant's reluctance to eat with him.

She just thought it was unusual......

"Miss...... why didn't you say anything until this happened?"

The shock of seeing Edith's back covered in bruises was still fresh in her mind.

Her back, which should have been as smooth as milk, was a horrible mess.

Probably by a maid sent by her family.

"How could I tell you that?"

Edith replied with a wan smile, as if it were nothing.

'It's my fault...... Even though she's been so quiet about it, how could I not know until this happened to my lady!'

Anna's ten years of pride as a maid was shattered.

Barely able to contain the rising tide of emotion, she applied the medicine to Edith's back, her shoulders shaking slightly.

'Miss......'

Edith is not a wicked woman, but rather the most fragile, tolerant, quiet person Anna has ever known.

And unlike Lizé, she's truly down on her luck......

Anna patted Edith's hand for the first time. It was a sincere comfort, though she expected to be called a cheeky maid.

And Edith didn't get angry, didn't cry out loud, just let out a shaky breath.

After that, Anna erased the line she had drawn with Edith.

For her, Edith is a vulnerable person she needs to protect.

That's why she was happy to see Edith and Killian's relationship improve, and she hoped that Edith would have a happy married life.

But it was during this crucial time that Lizé began to come looking for Killian.

'After all these years of pretending not to know Master Killian's love, why now......!'