Chapter 44

"There's still hope, right......?"

I don't know how far I've penetrated Killian's mind.

His mind is probably still filled with Lizé, and I'm probably just an annoying foreign object.

But that little bit of attention could save my life.

It's just enough attention and affection for him to think, "She's annoying, suspicious, and irritating, but I think killing her is too much." Just give me that much affection!

I don't want any more attention than that.

Praying for that little hope, I welcomed Anna, and was thrilled to see Sophia's rotten face as she came in after her.

***

While Edith was looking forward to an evening without beatings, a heated discussion was taking place in the Duke of Ludwig's office.

"Count Sinclair has been quiet of late, as she says; but that is only conjecture."

"The idea that Edith might be the culprit is also conjecture. Besides, as she says, it's too immediate. She's not stupid enough to do something that would immediately implicate her."

"But it's not like anyone else touched that embroidery thread."

"We just haven't found the culprit, brother! Did you suddenly become stupid because it concerns Lizé?"

Killian could understand Edith's feelings a little.

No amount of logic could convince Cliff otherwise.

If Edith is the culprit because we haven't found anyone else who's touched the embroidery thread, then why is Edith the culprit when we haven't even found her applying the poison?

Cliff seemed to have been brainwashed.

"Anyway, I don't think this is Edith's doing. There's no telling who could have gotten in and done this while Lizé's room was empty."

"And if so, why did it have to be that embroidery thread?"

"They must have poisoned something that Lizé would touch, and if it was an embroidery thread, they might have thought it would be a good idea because it's something she'd be touching for a long time!"

"Don't you think that's a bit of a leap of conclusions?"

"It's a big leap to accuse Edith of poisoning the embroidery thread she gave as a gift. And to assume that she procured the poison and applied it under the watchful eyes of the guards we've placed around her? Are the guards of the Ludwig family that incompetent?"

Killian was frustrated with his brother, but his arguments were not without merit.

Whatever Cliff might have thought, Duke Ludwig was slowly chipping away at the conviction that had wrapped itself around his thoughts like a hard shell.

"Killian has a point. It's hard to believe that Edith or her maid could have gotten the poison without being noticed by our guards."

"That maid, Sophia, could have brought it in."

"I've already gone through that maid's luggage after the peach pie incident, though she may not realize it."

Finally, Cliff backed down.

And Lizé, who had been listening, took Edith's side.

"I don't think Edith would have done that after all the pain she's been through, and besides, Killian was in my room when she gave it to me. There's no way she would have given me something so horrible in front of him."