Chapter 57

"Hubert? You mean the guy who has a lot of money?"

"Apart from the play, László is a very bad son of a bitch."

"What?"

"He tests Odelette's love, even though he knows what she's going through, and he doesn't reveal his identity, asshole."

Killian looked shocked at the swear word I let out. But I had no intention of taking it back.

He finally got over his shock and asked me another question.

"But if you really love someone, would you be swayed by the mere lure of money?"

"Killian. You've never been without money, have you?"

"Well...... no."

"There are too many things that money can solve...... for it to be just money."

I knew that all too well, which is why I could understand Odelette, and why I couldn't forgive László.

"Besides, the honor of the family was at stake in her marriage, and she couldn't just throw it all away for the love of her life."

"But......"

"You know that pain all too well, Killian."

Killian froze at my answer. Wondering if I had unnecessarily rubbed his wounds, I quickly changed the subject.

"The play makes Hubert out to be a very mean man, but in reality, he is the one who loves Odelette."

"He takes Odelette, who is already madly in love with another man, by intimidating her with money, isn't he?"

"Yes. He knows she's in love with another man, and yet he goes out of his way to get her. If he were that rich, he could have gotten a woman as beautiful as Odelette to be his wife who loves him just as much."

"That's......"

"Maybe if László hadn't reappeared as if to take revenge on Odelette, Hubert and Odelette could have lived as a normal, happy couple."

For the first time, Killian nodded.

"So it is quite foolish for Odelette to take her own life at the end, and to be honest, it's not that unlikely, and I'd bet my neck that the author of this play was a man."

"You tend to put your life on the line a bit too much, but you're right, the playwright is a man."

"So he must have thought a woman would be remorseful and take her own life, but women, you know, they're a lot stronger than you think."

I smirked, but Killian just stared at me without moving.

'Did I sound too aggressive?'

I felt a pang in my stomach.

Maybe I'd made a mistake by picking at his wounds earlier.

At a time like this, I needed to break the ice quickly.

"Shall we get out now?"

"......yes."

We walked out of the opera house side by side, the excitement still building.

I felt a tickle in my stomach because we looked so much like a normal couple on a date.

As we stepped out onto the street, where the sun hadn't yet set, Killian looked back at me and asked, "Should we head back to the mansion, or do you want to look around the streets?"

Huh? He's going to take me around some more!

"I want to see the streets!"

"Wait, you've never seen the streets before?"