Chapter 36

"You must be crazy."

"Ha......"

"You betray the family that fed you, clothed you, and raised you? Do you think my family would let a traitor live?"

I hastily wiped my tears and looked at Shane.

"You've fed me, clothed me, and raised me...... yes, if you call that a favor, then my letter to you was a way of repaying that favor, and you'd better not ignore my warning."

Despite my heartfelt advice, Shane smirked at me, then spoke in a low voice, "Spanking is medicine[1] for a dog that doesn't recognize its master. Just because you're in the Ludwig family doesn't mean I can't tighten your leash."

[1] It is a Korean idiom. It means that spanking is the most effective for a disobedient child.

Then he walked away.

It wasn't until he was gone that my heart began to beat frightfully, for a very old memory of Edith came to me belatedly.

"I'm sorry, Father! I'm sorry!"

"You stupid bitch, I've taught you so many times and you can't do it!"

"Ahh! I'm wrong, I'm wrong!"

I remembered Count Riegelhoff slapping me on the cheeks and head and back and forearms...... no, anywhere his hands and feet could reach.

I don't know why he did that to his own daughter.

But young Edith didn't dare to rebel, didn't dare to run away.

With no one to help her, she could only move as her father's puppet.

'Edith must have been desperate...... for Killian to marry her.'

That's why she wanted Killian so badly, even though she couldn't resist Riegelhoffs' orders to get information about the Ludwig family.

My eyes grew hot.

Despite our differences, I could understand Edith's feelings.

Is that why I possessed her and not someone else?

As much as I want to save my own life, I don't want to let Edith die a miserable death.

I took a deep breath and pulled myself together.

'Ha, I'm so late. I'll be suspected if I'm late.'

I hurriedly took a handkerchief out of my bag and wiped my tears.

In the mirror, I could see that my cheek was red from Shane's slap, but I thought I could pass it off as just a little sunburn.

I practiced smiling a few times, as the corners of my mouth kept dropping, and then I turned to the corner of the building.

It was then that I made eye contact with Killian.

"I've been looking for you for a while. Where have you been?"

"Oh...... the mansion is beautiful, so I thought I'd see what it's like over here......"

"You have a lot of curiosity."

Bowing my head and covering the cheek Shane slapped me on with my hair, I asked in a deliberately cheerful voice, "Did you come looking for me on purpose?"

"Of course not, I just came out to wash my hands and found you."

"Alas, I see. I almost got excited."

"Excited about something like that?"

Yes, a lot.

"It's exciting to know that someone cares where you've gone, isn't it?"