Chapter 154

20. Flashback (13)

While the doctor was examining Sierra in the guest room, Edith, Killian, the Duchess, and Princess Catherine listened to the shocking story of the sobbing Daniel.

"So, you're Johann?"

"Yes......"

"And Marchioness Theroux recognized you, didn't she?"

"Yes."

"Then why did you pretend not to know at first?"

Johann sobbed and fidgeted with his hands, then finally answered, "I heard that my mom abandoned me, that she secretly threw me away because I was useless...... and I thought she'd hate me even more if she found out I was here......"

Catherine got angry at those words. "Who? Who told you that?"

"My- my aunt......."

"Your aunt?"

Johann remembered clearly what had happened five years ago.

***

On the day of the outdoor banquet at the imperial palace, Johann was playing in the garden with his cousins.

It was the happiest day of his life: great weather, plenty of food, and fun with peers he hadn't seen in a long time.

But then his Aunt Avery waved from the other side.

"Auntie!"

"It's been a long time, Johann."

She beamed, picked him up in a hug, and walked deeper into the garden

"Auntie, where are you going?"

"Um, your mom asked me to do something for you, so I'm taking you with me."

Hearing that his mom asked her to, Johann clung to her, not suspecting anything. She was an aunt who often came to visit the Theroux mansion and was very close to him.

But as she carried him into the secluded garden, a man was waiting for them with the shabby clothes and wig typical of a commoner.

"Let's change your clothes."

"Why?"

"It's a disguise game. We're going to play hide and seek in disguise."

"Wow, that sounds like fun!"

Johann excitedly changed his clothes and put on the wig.

"How about it, Auntie? No one will know it's me, right?"

"Sure. You won't get caught."

Avery's smile was a little odd, but Johann let it go.

This time, however, the man waiting for them picked Johann up, looked around, and set him down in a carriage.

"Huh? Why am I in a carriage?"

"Listen, Johann. What your mom asked me to do was to get rid of you, because you're no use to her."

"What?"

"Think about it. She's already got two other healthy sons above you, and there's no reason she should have to keep you."

"But!"

Avery pulled a pouch from her arms and waved it around. "Look at this. This is the money I got from your mom for getting rid of you. You remember this silk pouch, don't you?"

It was one of the gifts Johann had given his mom for Mother's Day this year.

"She said she didn't need it and gave it to me. Your mom has had a hard time raising you. She was even suspected of having an affair because you didn't look like your father."