Chapter 48

Even when she was under suspicion, Edith remained calm and cool as she analyzed the case.

The fact that Lizé's room was empty was something that Killian and Cliff were also feeling sensitive about.

He had told Edith that it had only been empty for a short time, but it had actually been empty for a long time.

But the fact that Edith, who wouldn't have known that, was so quick to suspect the artisan merchant, made Killian realize that she couldn't be the culprit.

If Edith was a stupid poisoner, as the Ludwigs thought she was, she would have floundered and made up a bunch of excuses when she was accused.

But Edith behaved calmly, as if it had nothing to do with her, and her subsequent reasoning was plausible.

It all fit together when she suspected that Count Sinclair was behind this.

They hate both Lizé and the Riegelhoffs.

If Edith had caused Lizé's death or injury, the Sinclairs might have used Lizé's safety as an excuse to get something out of the Ludwigs.

'If that's true...... Edith has been suspected and insulted while being innocent of anything.'

Edith has always maintained that she was not the culprit, but she is often named as the sole suspect.

What if it was a ruse by the Sinclairs......?

The thought alone made Killian's breath catch in his throat.

Maybe that's why he'd been so blind to the easy assumptions.

But it was too soon to offer an apology; nothing had been revealed yet.

Instead, I just kept arguing with her.

It's a strange thing, but the more I talked to Edith, the more I found myself wanting to scratch at her insides, to provoke her, to shamelessly confront her.

"Don't think I don't know that much, you hurt my pride."

"I offered to risk my life, and you didn't believe me; can you imagine how I felt?"

"I believe in you and the Duke, too, though to be more honest, I don't think you'd find me worth the effort."

The way Edith responded to the rude provocation without losing her temper was, to put it bluntly, charming.

'Was she like this?'

I'd only known her through rumors.

And that was enough for me.

I admit it. I was arrogant.

The Edith he'd only met face-to-face as they prepared to marry was nothing like the rumored one he had known.

Except for her sensual, seductive looks of course.

"I am Edith Ludwig. Do you think I'll be jealous of another woman just because I want a man's love? Don't get me wrong."

When Edith lifted her chin in a sneering way, Killian couldn't help but kiss her, which was even more thrilling than the "rumors" he'd heard.

If he'd held back any longer, he might have knocked Edith to the floor and clung to her like a beast.

The crisis was swept under the rug with the ridiculous excuse, "I just wanted to," but his pathetic lust hadn't gone away, it was just waiting for the right time.

When he heard that Edith's probation had been lifted as of today, he waited outside Renon's office just in time to see her at work.

He wanted to check on her under the guise of coincidence.