Chapter 40

"Sophia, when you get to the Ludwig mansion, find out how Lizé Sinclair is doing, what she likes, anything in particular, and let me know in a letter. Don't tell my father about this. Understood?"

Shane's secret order to her rang in her head.

When the young master she'd longed for had said Lizé's name with his earlobes flushed red, Sophia knew he had her in his heart.

At the time, all she wanted to do was rip that illegitimate Sinclair wench to shreds.

She didn't dare covet the position as Shane's wife, but she could not let an illegitimate child born from a maid's belly seduce her master.

But now that she's at the Ludwig mansion, Lizé is living beyond her wildest dreams, and her protection is impenetrable.

Of course, Sophia is not one to give up easily.

'I'm not going to let this illegitimate bitch get away with this......'

Even as she sharpened her sword in her mind, Sophia gave Lizé a curt salute and stepped out of the way.

She passed a servant nonchalantly and quickly handed him a small note.

– Killian Ludwig is to receive the estate of Ryzen,

Whether he will take Edith with him is unknown.

Another mercenary secretly assigned to the Ludwig mansion was earning his keep.

'Even a worm like this pays the food, and Edith is still so useless that she doesn't even deserve to eat, much less be favored by her husband.'

How pathetic.

I'm sure I could have done much better if I were the daughter of a Count.

Sophia pitied her plight of having to call a thing lesser than her a lady, and took Edith's dinner for herself. She thought about how she would torture the starving Edith today.

***

After five days of starvation, all I could think about in the morning was food.

But I couldn't even get refreshments because Renon was away on a business trip for a few days.

'I'm hungry......'

Sophia took my meal and ate it in front of me.

That was enough to make me angry, but then she deliberately scratched my insides even more.

She threw a piece of bread from last night's dinner on the floor and said,

"If you're really hungry, you can eat that."

Honestly, if Sophia hadn't been watching, I might have actually picked it up and eaten it.

But I didn't, not with my already shattered pride.

"How can a human eat what a dog eats?"

She burst out laughing at that, thinking I was just a stubborn, useless dog.

Anyway, if I had to suffer the same humiliation at lunch today, I would eat the bread without a second thought, so I ran out of the room while Sophia went to get her meal.

Everyone was busy preparing meals, and the smell of food wafted everywhere.

I looked for a place where I could avoid the smell as much as possible, and then I remembered the Great Hall and headed there.

'I'm hungry...... I'm hungry......'

It's not that I didn't think of hiding somewhere else and having another servant bring me something to eat.