Chapter 35

"I can't seem to fit in with society these days. A bunch of village hicks wandering around the bazaar. Besides, they're clueless, aren't they?"

They glared at me, not expecting me to attack them.

"Who the hell is that?"

"Edith Riegelhoff."

"Alas, she's just as she was rumored to be...... and she doesn't look any better than that illegitimate child."

"I hear she's ignored by even her husband?"

They mocked me with a sneer. But I wasn't the original Edith, so I didn't let that get to me.

"Hmm...... so, to not know Edith 'Ludwig', what village are you from, I have no idea who you are just by looking at your face."

I thought they were going to shut up, but one of the young ladies lifted her chin and replied, "If you don't recognize the Countess of Bryn, Miss Edith, oughtn't you to reflect on your own education and knowledge?"

"Anyone who makes a fuss over a mere passerby needs to relearn basic manners," I replied.

The Countess Bryn's brow furrowed further at that.

"Now that I think about it, that illegitimate child looks better, at least she knows her place."

"And you'd better look good in the eyes of that very same 'no better than an illegitimate child' woman, because if this gets to the Duchess' ears now, the County of Bryn will be in danger."

The Countess of Bryn looked me up and down again, clutching her fan tightly.

"I've heard rumors that the Duke of Ludwig has an unwanted daughter-in-law, but I didn't expect it to be this bad."

"I heard that Count Riegelhoff forced the marriage."

"I feel sorry for Sir Killian."

Like worker bees swarming around a queen bee, the young ladies were spouting off whatever sounded good to Countess Bryn.

The sight was hilarious.

"Well, if you've said all you need to say, would you mind getting out of the way, because Sir Cliff Ludwig is coming after this."

I said it without looking back because I thought I could feel Cliff's energy, but when I did, the ladies gave me an awkward glance and hurried away.

And then I heard Cliff's affectionate voice behind me.

"Why are you standing there?"

At Cliff's voice, Lizé let out a shaky breath and looked up.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine, but......"

"Do you know any of them?"

"She's a friend of Countess Sinclair. I'm so sorry that she's been so mean to Edith because of me......"

"I'm perfectly fine. She can talk all she wants. I don't care."

As I shrugged, Cliff came over and examined Lizé's complexion, and she quickly smiled as if it was no big deal.

'She's got a hard life, too.'

Those who wanted to look good to the Ludwigs knew that they cared about Lizé, so they praised her, but those who didn't, looked down on Lizé, calling her an illegitimate child even after getting to the fourth volume of the original story.

'I feel like I've become a part of that gossip, but......'

It would have made Edith's eyes roll back in her head if the same group of people who looked down on Lizé had called her worse than her.