Chapter 52

"Why don't you come over for tea if you're free?"

Killian thought it was easy and offered Edith tea, but was politely rejected.

"I'm fine, Killian. Thanks for asking."

Is she thinking that I invited her just out of courtesy?

'Hmm...... maybe I was too rude.'

Feeling a little embarrassed, Killian invited Edith to join him for dinner the next day.

"You know, you always seem to eat alone in your room, but you're welcome to come down to the dining room."

"Oh......"

"Speaking of which, how about we dine together today?"

"I know the Duke is still uncomfortable with me, and I don't want to disturb his dining time. Thank you for the invitation, Killian."

It was the second rejection.

'Well, it's true that my father is still uncomfortable with Edith.'

Wrestling with how to make an offer that wouldn't be met with another family member's interference, Killian casually made a new offer the next day.

"It's a lovely day and I was thinking of taking a short walk in the garden, would you like to come along?"

Edith's eyes widened in surprise, but she shook her head with a weak smile again.

"No, I think I'll stay in my room, it's still very hot."

"......if you say so."

After the third rejection, Killian got the feeling that Edith was avoiding him.

'What the hell, I kicked that damn maid out of the house, don't you think I deserve a thank you?'

I felt offended and sick at the same time.

The next day, Killian came to Edith's room unannounced and asked her to join him at someone's tea party.

But her response was sour.

"Is it obligatory?"

"Not...... obligatory."

"Is this the tea party you wanted to go to, Killian?"

"No, it's not."

"Then may I ask why you want to go?"

"Well...... women like that sort of thing, don't they?"

Edith's eyes looked surprised again, but then she gave him a look that said, "I get it," and shook her head.

"If it's because of me, you don't have to."

"You don't want to do that?"

"I don't have any particular desire to go right now, and I don't want to take up your time with something like that."

It was a subtle rejection, too subtle to make him angry.

"I see."

"Thanks for asking."

"I'm not sure you're really thanking me."

With a bitter taste in his mouth, Killian stalked back to his room like a defeated soldier.

'Come to think of it, I haven't seen Edith go to another house party since we got married, so maybe...... she's just tired of them.'

He couldn't help but feel strangely nervous, even as he reasoned.

***

"Someone gave me a strawberry tart from Peridot as a gift, would you like to have some with me?"

The afternoon teatime was approaching, and Killian stopped by and casually offered.