Chapter 118

"Carriage to Apentus, leaving in 5 minutes! Hurry, it's filling up!"

I'd missed the one to Driburn, so I had to catch the one to Apentus. I knew it in my head.

But somehow my feet wouldn't move.

'What should I do? What should I do?'

As I stood up and sat back down again, tapping my foot nervously, someone managed to take the last seat on the carriage to Apentus, and once it was full, the carriage pulled away without further delay.

I sighed, staring at the empty parking lot where the carriage to Apentus had left.

'Tomorrow...... I'll make sure to catch the carriage to Apentus tomorrow.'

With that meager resolve, I booked a room at an inn close to the carriage station.

But the next day, I still couldn't get on the carriage.

Sitting on the same bench as yesterday, I tapped my foot impatiently on the floor, missed both the carriage to Driburn and the one to Apentus, and stood up and walked back out of the station.

I even had a fever that evening, so I had to spend another three days languishing.

'I'm going to get caught.'

Impatient, I headed back to the carriage station as soon as my fever broke, but this time it was freezing cold.

As I waited for my carriage under the ramshackle roof of the station, sheltering from the snow, I could hear the conversations of the people around me.

"Did you see the wanted flyer issued by House Ludwig?"

"Oh, I saw the flyer on my way here. She's a pretty girl, isn't she?"

"The bounty is quite large."

"I wonder if the knights of the Ludwig family will be here sooner or later. They might be looking for her among the people going down to the countryside."

"No way, a noblewoman who's about to die wouldn't take a carriage in such a place. She'd probably borrow a relative's carriage and ride away."

The noblewoman who's about to die is right here.

'This is really the last time.'

I could no longer put off the choices and decisions I'd been procrastinating on.

The carriage to Driburn departed in ten minutes, and the carriage to Apentus in twenty.

'Don't be stubborn, don't have any regrets...... Let's go to Driburn.'

With that in mind, I bought three freshly baked potatoes from a stall at the carriage station.

These would keep me warm, and since I hadn't eaten breakfast, they would make a good meal.

I filled my canteen with water, so that should be enough for me to make it to my first stop, Ramolo.

With these calculations in mind, I turned around to head for the carriage to Dribbun, and my steps halted without me realizing it.

The sight of the other passengers sitting huddled together, not speaking to each other, the coachmen smoking impassively, and the horses whinnying, their white breath drifting away with each whinny...... suddenly made my heart ache.

'I'm alone......'

As if receiving a revelation from God, I suddenly realized this.

Throughout my life as Choi Soo-na, where every moment of my life was lonely, I had never thought about this. But it was only after I met Killian, who taught me joy, that I truly understood loneliness.