Chapter 114

"You don't love me, you just admire my looks. What do you know about me that makes you think you love me?"

"I'm sure Cliff falls for your looks anyway, so why are you in denial?"

"Cliff's different! He knows who I am, he knows my weakest, ugliest self and he loves me for it."

Shane shrugged and laughed at Lizé. "It doesn't matter what, you're going to be mine today, and Cliff will have no choice but to give you up."

He stood up and walked over to Lizé.

"D- don't come!"

"I'm in a bit of a hurry to make you mine, and I apologize if the place doesn't suit you. Please bear with me for today."

It was at that moment that Lizé went white as she saw his hand reaching out toward her.

-knock knock.

Someone knocked on the door.

Shane, who was about to grab Lizé's forearm, frowned and turned toward the door.

"Who is it!"

Someone outside said urgently, "W- we've got a bit of a problem. I think you'll need to come out for a minute."

Shane clicked his tongue and turned away from Lizé, moving toward the door.

"What's going on?"

And just as he opened the door, the person standing outside punched Shane hard in the face.

"Ack!"

As he spun around, the man outside quickly entered the room, locked the door, and punched Shane in the head as he crawled on the floor, knocking him out cold.

"C- Cliff......?"

Lizé looked up from where she was cowering in the corner, shaking.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Lizé!"

Cliff pulled down the hood that covered his face and rushed to Lizé, wrapping his arms around her slender body.

"Cliff! Cliff!"

Lizé burst into tears and clung to him, her body shaking.

Cliff stroked Lizé's back, blaming Count Riegelhoff, Shane, and himself.

"Are you hurt?"

"N- no, but the Duchess......!"

"My mother will be fine, too."

"And what about Edith?"

"I don't know. I doubt if her safety was ever threatened."

"What?"

Just then, there was a loud crash from outside and it suddenly became noisy.

"Right now, we need to get out of here first. Can you walk?"

"Yes!"

Lizé clung to Cliff's arm and barely stood up. Her legs were weak from the strain, but she steadied herself as she walked.

Cliff ripped the knocked-out Shane's cloak into pieces and tied his hands together.

"It must be terrible to be with this guy, but just hold on for a moment."

He stood by the door, listening to the sounds outside, then burst open the door and ran out.

Outside the closed door was a noisy jumble of clashing metal, desperate screams, the dull thud of something hitting the floor, and shouting.

When it died down, the door opened again.

"I'm sorry, you were scared, weren't you?"

It was Cliff, still sweet.