Chapter 37

As the bazaar ended, summer slowly approached.

'It's going to be a hot summer without air conditioning.'

While I was thinking this, a very scary fact popped into my head.

'Come to think of it...... how long does Edith appear in the original story?'

I don't know why it just occurred to me.

"I Refuse Your Obsession" is a five-volume Rofan novel, and Edith is introduced at the end of the third volume and disappears before the fifth volume begins.

And at the beginning of the fifth volume, Lizé gets a proposal from Cliff, along with a confession of love.

'How old is Lizé during that scene?'

Lizé and I are the same age now, twenty-two.

And Cliff proposes to her when she's twenty-three years old.

'I'm sure because I remember having the thought that she hadn't even graduated college at that age.'

Okay, quiz here.

How many months until the episode where my head is cut off?

As I thought about it, my back suddenly broke out in a cold sweat.

Then, out of nowhere, Anna knocked on my door.

"Miss, you're going to have to come out here for a minute!"

"Huh? What's going on?"

A shiver of ominous feeling ran down my spine.

As I stepped out into the hallway, I heard a woman's wailing coming from the first-floor landing.

"I'm begging you, please let me see my lady, she couldn't even leave her house without me before she got married, how is she doing here alone......!"

I wondered what all the fuss was about and followed Anna downstairs, only to find that the Duchess and the butler, Philip, had already come down to the first floor, as well as Cliff, Killian, and Lizé.

"Eh......?"

I got goosebumps at the sight of a woman sprawled out on the porch of the mansion, sobbing and wailing.

She spotted me, too, and called out my name before I had time to retreat.

"Ah, Miss! Miss Edith!"

"So...... Sophia......"

"Ah, my dear, my little miss...... why are you looking so pale?"

"W- what? What?"

Sophia, whom I hadn't seen in a long time, clung to me with a face that, unlike the Riegelhoff family, was dying of worry.

I wondered how a mere maid could have gotten the Duchess and her heir to come downstairs, but behind her stood Shane.

"Brother......?"

I called out to Shane, but he stood facing the Duchess, not me, and spoke with a sad expression, "I apologize for causing such a disturbance, but Sophia, Edith's dedicated maid, misses her dearly...... and we've been uneasy about not having any idea of her well-being."

"You could have come by anytime and met Edith."

"That's very kind of you, but you probably know that's easier said than done. So, please, at least let Sophia keep by Edith's side. She's just a maid."

I suddenly understood what Shane had meant by 'tightening a dog leash'.

"Oh, brother, I am really fine!"