Chapter 49

'And after all this time, you've never said a word. Not a word!'

The evidence of the brutal assault, clear even in the darkness, fanned the flames of anger in his chest.

I know I'm not a good husband to her.

But I thought I could at least be her protector, and apparently I couldn't even be that to her.

Of course, I had never protected her, so it wasn't hard to understand.

Barely able to control my bursting nerves, I made my way back to Edith's room and found her asleep.

But the tears that soaked her lashes and cheeks were still glistening in the light.

"Edith......"

I called her name lowly, but she was fast asleep, as if the tension had been released.

"What the hell...... are you hiding?"

Despite all the hatred that the Ludwigs and I directed at Edith, she remained tight-lipped.

Killian let out a long, frustrated sigh, wondering if the day would ever come when he could see her truth.

But the touch that applied the medicine to her body was as careful and gentle as ever.

It took a lot of patience as Edith squirmed and moaned at the tickles, but Killian worked the medicine into her skin and held her until dawn broke.

Killian gave a self-deprecating laugh as he watched Edith dig in for warmth, not realizing it was him.

'I guess I'm the stupid one, I'm the one being swayed like this.'

Even as he kissed Edith's cheek, Killian thought to himself that he was crazy.

Only a crazy man would be so swayed by a woman he didn't even know.

***

I woke up feeling refreshed.

I think it was because I had a very cozy dream last night, and I slept for a long time without waking up once.

In that cozy dream, someone gently touched my body.

I don't know who it was, but I didn't hate the gentle touch, as if touching something fragile. In fact, I loved it, to the point of tears.

I wanted to give myself over to those hands, to give myself over to that warmth.

'It's so strange to have a dream full of sensations.'

It was the first time I'd ever had a dream where I didn't see something or have a story.

But it lifted my mood from last night's blues, and I stretched for a good long time.

But my back, which should have been stiff, felt strange.

"Huh?"

It felt like acupuncture needles were sticking to my back like a sticky body lotion.

"Huh? What is this?"

I reached over my shoulder and touched it, and sure enough, there was something on my back.

I realized it was an ointment because it was on the 'bruised area'.

'Killian......!'

Killian was the only one who would do this.

Sophia and Killian were the only ones who knew I had bruises on my body, and Sophia wasn't the kind of person to put medicine on me.

'Then, that dream...... Killian......?'

Just imagining Killian applying ointment on my body made my toes tingle.