Chapter 149

15. Flashback (8)

In the weddings they had over and over again, the flowers that filled the wedding hall, without exception, were white roses of the highest quality.

But the flowers listed on the budget Cliff brought with him were white hydrangeas.

Hydrangeas are large, so they would look abundant even if only a few were placed, but such 'efficiency' is far from the 'main character' that Lizé wanted.

"I want white roses to adorn the wedding hall, as well as the petals to be sprinkled."

"But white roses in that quantity are hard to come by these days. White hydrangeas are also popular as wedding flowers......"

"Cliff. You can't be serious, you too are ignoring me?"

"Of course not, Lizé!"

"Then do what I say. Can you do it?"

Lizé suppressed her irritation and smiled.

"......yes, if that's what you want."

Cliff complied with her request, but Lizé found the small sigh that preceded his answer unbearably offensive.

'At some point, you seemed ready to put the empire under my feet.'

All her life, Cliff had been craving a handful of her affection, and before she could say a word, he'd given her what she wanted.

But the more they talked about the wedding, the more they clashed, and the more he sighed.

Of course, that didn't make her back down, but then the Duchess, in charge of the family budget, came to see her.

"Lizé. I need to speak to you for a moment."

Lizé didn't think much of it, she was rather happy, because the Duchess couldn't possibly refuse anything she wanted.

But the next words out of her mouth were unexpected.

"Cliff's been planning a wedding, and I'm afraid it's not quite right."

"Yes? How did he plan it?"

"He's so excited that he's marrying you. He's got all kinds of luxuries planned."

The Duchess shook her head and showed Lizé the wedding plans and budget Cliff had drawn up.

It was exactly everything she had asked for.

"If the wedding continues like this, it will be rumored that the Ludwigs are show-offs and spendthrifts. Cliff loves you, no one doubts that, but this is too different from Killian's wedding, so......"

She seemed to have no doubt that the whole plan was the result of Cliff's over-affection for her, and that Lizé would eliminate some things to make the budget more frugal.

'You all are supposed to throw me a wedding like this even if I don't want to!'

Lizé replied in a sobbing voice, barely suppressing her anger, "Do you think it's a waste to spend this much money on me, madam?"

"Li- Lizé......?"

"Yes, I'm an illegitimate child and a lowly woman, but what about Cliff? This is the wedding of Cliff, the heir to the Duke, and it shouldn't be shabbier than any other nobleman's wedding."

The Duchess was at a loss for words, her eyes wide with surprise.

In the end, the wedding went exactly as Lizé had hoped, but at the cost of Lizé never being able to be with the Duchess again.

But Lizé didn't regret it one bit.

'There's no point in getting involved with extras.'

In fact, it was Edith's attitude that bothered her more than the Duke and Duchess's distant behavior.